Mail would not open Filemaker attachment file

Product

FileMaker Go

Version

Go iPad 1.2.4

Operating system version

iPad iOS 5.0.1

Description of the issue

Sending file from Filemaker 11 to iPad as an email attachment will not open without ".fp7" extension.  "Save a Copy - Create email with file as attachment" command does not automatically include extension.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Use command above without adding extension

Expected result

Mail will not open file

Actual result

Same

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Mail cannot open this attachment.

Configuration information

None

Workaround

Add ".fp7" extension and files open without issue

• 1. Re: Mail would not open Filemaker attachment file
          user15307

Robert Omalley,

Thank you for your post.

I cannot replicate your issue. I am using FileMaker 11.0v4 on OS X 10.7.2.  This is what I am doing:

1. Open database file

2. Pull down File Menu and 

3. Select from the File menu "save a copy as…" 

4. Check the box "create an email with the file as attachment"

5. Name the file

6. Click save

A new message window opens (my default mail client is Mail) and the file that is attached includes an fp7 extension.

Please tell me how you are doing this differently so that I may test in the same way.

Thank you,

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Mail would not open Filemaker attachment file
            philmodjunk

I beleive the difference here is that Robert Omalley is attaching a file that does not have the .fp7 extension where TS Tuatara's test sent one that did have this extension.

• 3. Re: Mail would not open Filemaker attachment file
              RobertOmalley

I have tried to duplicate the situation that lead to my original post and failed.  I found the email with the attached database without the .fp7 extension so I know it happened.  

iPod will not open to FileMakerGo without extension so make sure it is present before sending email if it is intended to be opened on an iPad.  

Addendum - I was able to duplicate the problem if the name of the database is changes and the extension is dropped at the "name the file" stage #5 above.  The automatically entered name is the original name with "copy.fp7." I was changing the names in order to know which database was the most current when I sent it back after using iPod version.  Just make sure there is an extension when sending database and there is no issue.  Ideally FileMaker would not allow a database be sent without extension. 

• 4. Re: Mail would not open Filemaker attachment file
                user15307

Robert Omalley,

Thank you for pointing that out.  I neglected to test for a cautionary prompt if the extension is removed prior to sending the file. Even though the extension isn't highlighted when you are prompted for a name, there are common ways one might make the change that would lead to the extension being deleted during the rename.

I encourage you to enter this as a Feature Request by using the web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form are monitored and read by Development and Product Management where they are then discussed and considered for future revisions.  I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, but there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.

Thank you,

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.