Mails sent from FileMaker via SMTP are considered SPAM
Operating system version
Mac OS X 10.6.3
Description of the issue
Mails sent from FileMaker Pro directly via SMTP are given high spam score because of invalid Message-ID and unnecessarily used Base64 encoding for the From header.
Steps to reproduce the problem
1. Send Mail via SMTP server to an e-mail account which hase server side spam filter, such as SpamAssassin setup to only add headers to spam but not delete it. Use complete from header including name and e-mail - i.e. "HOnza Koudelka"
2. Open the received e-mail and display raw headers
3. Look for headers From, Message-ID, X-Spam-Status and X-Spam-Report
Well formatted e-mail should contain something like this: From: =?UTF-8?B?SE9uemEgS291ZGVsa2E=?= Use a plug-in to send e-mails directly through SMTP
From: "HOnza Koudelka"
X-Spam-Status: No, score=2.8 required=5.0 tests=AWL,RDNS_NONE
The key is the status No and the score which should be well under the required 5.0.
X-Spam-Status: Yes, score=5.2 required=5.0 tests=FROM_EXCESS_BASE64,
INVALID_MSGID,RDNS_NONE autolearn=disabled version=3.2.1
* 3.0 INVALID_MSGID Message-Id is not valid, according to RFC 2822
* 2.1 FROM_EXCESS_BASE64 From: base64 encoded unnecessarily
* 0.1 RDNS_NONE Delivered to trusted network by a host with no rDNS
From: =?UTF-8?B?SE9uemEgS291ZGVsa2E=?= Use a plug-in to send e-mails directly through SMTP
Use a plug-in to send e-mails directly through SMTP