Making a mess of existing layouts

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

14 Advance

Operating system version

Yosemite

Description of the issue

I opened a database that had not been opened for a couple of months, and made what I thought was a normal entry, only to find it affect6ed a lot of fields that should not haven affected.  It took sometime to realise that I had changed the contents of a foreign field.  I normally do not allow that to happen but I could have been careless.  It took a little time to realise that the entry field for the foreign field was missing - that has never ever happened before - deleting a field from a layout when in browse mode.
      I still thought it could be my aberration when I opened a report layout on another file.  This time I had opened it recently to install the new button Bar.   The layout is now a travesty.  I think its saveable but FM14 appears to be playing around with the layouts.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I have no idea what is causing the problem.  Both the above files and their layouts have been stable for a number of years.

• 1. Re: Making a mess of existing layouts
          TSGal

glenmac451:

Thank you for your post.

Since the two files have been "stable for a number of years", and the strange issues have just started, my first thought is FileMaker Pro 14 has become damaged.  Therefore, I would remove FileMaker Pro Advanced 14 and reinstall.  Once reinstalled, open the files again.  The issue may still be present because the file was saved/closed with the damaged copy .  Go to other layouts that you know are fine and verify they are still fine.  If not, then run a Recover on both files and see what type of errors are reported.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Making a mess of existing layouts
            glenmac451

Thanks for the response.  I did as you suggested and there has been no further alteration of layouts.  Many thanks for that.

However, I have come across another oddity.  I am using an old FileMaker provided data based for recording Personal Assets.  I have updated bits and pieces for time to time, but rarely any of the fields.

There is one field - Date Purchased - which shows a different date in the Entry Layout and the Report Layout.  I haven't done an exhaustive test, but the Month and Year remain the same, but the Day is different - and not by the same factor.  E.g Date Purchased on Report Layout 9 Sept 10 is 11 Sep 10 on Entry Layout; 10 Oct 10 on report is 1 Oct 10 on Entry; 11 Nov 13 on Report is 5 Nov 13 on Entry.

It's the same field and there are no calculation factors in the field (that I can see).  I'm a bit bewildered.

• 3. Re: Making a mess of existing layouts
              TSGal

glenmac451:

Very strange indeed.

My initial thought is that the date formatting on the report layout is not displaying the day, but the month number as well as the month name.  That would account for 9 Sept, 10 Oct, and 11 Nov. Therefore, go to one of the report layouts, select the Date field and in the Inspector -> Data -> Data Formatting, check to see if you have a custom format, and make sure the day displays as 25 and not 12 (month).  If not, try replacing the field on the layout.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Making a mess of existing layouts
                glenmac451

Very perceptive.  To avoid doubt I changed the month from number to name, and it now looks right.

Very many thanks.