Thank you for your post.
Since the two files have been "stable for a number of years", and the strange issues have just started, my first thought is FileMaker Pro 14 has become damaged. Therefore, I would remove FileMaker Pro Advanced 14 and reinstall. Once reinstalled, open the files again. The issue may still be present because the file was saved/closed with the damaged copy . Go to other layouts that you know are fine and verify they are still fine. If not, then run a Recover on both files and see what type of errors are reported.
Keep me updated with any progress.
Thanks for the response. I did as you suggested and there has been no further alteration of layouts. Many thanks for that.
However, I have come across another oddity. I am using an old FileMaker provided data based for recording Personal Assets. I have updated bits and pieces for time to time, but rarely any of the fields.
There is one field - Date Purchased - which shows a different date in the Entry Layout and the Report Layout. I haven't done an exhaustive test, but the Month and Year remain the same, but the Day is different - and not by the same factor. E.g Date Purchased on Report Layout 9 Sept 10 is 11 Sep 10 on Entry Layout; 10 Oct 10 on report is 1 Oct 10 on Entry; 11 Nov 13 on Report is 5 Nov 13 on Entry.
It's the same field and there are no calculation factors in the field (that I can see). I'm a bit bewildered.
Very strange indeed.
My initial thought is that the date formatting on the report layout is not displaying the day, but the month number as well as the month name. That would account for 9 Sept, 10 Oct, and 11 Nov. Therefore, go to one of the report layouts, select the Date field and in the Inspector -> Data -> Data Formatting, check to see if you have a custom format, and make sure the day displays as 25 and not 12 (month). If not, try replacing the field on the layout.
Very perceptive. To avoid doubt I changed the month from number to name, and it now looks right.
Very many thanks.