Manage Database Relationship Table

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v4

Operating system version

OSX 10.8.5

Description of the issue

Lookups not finding files.  Converted all files used for lookup from 11.0v4 to 12.0v4. I have numerous lookup tables connected to one file.  Manage external Data Source - I reset to point to new 12.0v4 files but does not set pointers.  Tried deleting in Manage external Data Source and setting up under Manage Database Relationships but still get a message  - "The file " " could not be opened. (Not found)  This file works correctly in 11.0v4.  HELP

• 1. Re: Manage Database Relationship Table
          philmodjunk

Can you describe this part of the process in more detail?

I reset to point to new 12.0v4 files but does not set pointers

What do you mean by "does not set pointers"?

• 2. Re: Manage Database Relationship Table
            JudyGilmore

Pointer is "File Path" to connect  lookup files to master file.  I'm trying to lookup info from various files to a master file.  Never had a problem until updated to FMP 12.  I can set up in Manage External Data Source or Manage Database but will not retain.

• 3. Re: Manage Database Relationship Table
              philmodjunk

I can set up in Manage External Data Source or Manage Database but will not retain.

Do you mean that You open Manage | External Data Sources, edit the external data source reference and then, when you re-open this dialog your changes are not there, you see the original references?

Changing this in Manage | Database | Relationships should not be necessary if you use Manage | External Data Sources to edit the existing external data source reference.

• 4. Re: Manage Database Relationship Table
                JudyGilmore

The references in Manage External Data Source are there but Message "The file "  " could not be opened (Not Found)" comes up for each reference file.

I have checked & rechecked files.  I do notice the File name in Edit Data Source not same as actual file name - see attachment.  This differs from FMP 11

• 5. Re: Manage Database Relationship Table
                  philmodjunk

Is this a reference you found after converting the file or one that you created afterwards?

If you delete the text shown, click Add File and select the correct file via the dialog that this opens, then click OK, is that change retained and does FileMaker then succeed in finding the file?

What I can tell from the screen shot is that you have a data source reference to a specific location to a specific file that includes the name "copy" as part of the file name. If there is no file of that exact name (with .fmp12 as the file extension) located in that directory, any data reference that uses this external data source will cause the missing file message to appear.

While older versions of FileMaker could permanently update such a reference automatically when you found the missing file in the dialog this pops up. Recent versions, including FileMaker 10, 11 and 12, do not retain this info, the reference will work only until you close the file and you'll get the missing file message every time you open the file until you use Manage | External Data Sources to correct the error in the data source reference.

Please also note that these references should be correctly updated for you if you convert the current file and all the files that it references via these data source entries all in one "batch" conversion by opening them all at the same time from FileMaker 12's File menu.

• 6. Re: Manage Database Relationship Table
                    JudyGilmore

I appreciate your help. This is very frustrating and time consuming as have 20 to 50 files connected to several master files.  I shortened reference file names thinking I had exceeded max characters allowed but file name still do not match.  Maybe I should go back to FMP 11 - did not have problem.  See attached

• 7. Re: Manage Database Relationship Table
                      philmodjunk

You have not answered my questions and thus I have nothing more to suggest as I don't have a complete picture of the issue with which you are dealing.