Manage Layouts... keyboard shortcut no longer available

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v1

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

The keyboard short for the Manage>Layouts. . . menu command has disappeared from FileMaker Pro Advanced v12.0v1. When I launch FileMaker Pro Advanced the keyboard shortcut is available and appears next to the menu command (Shift Command L). I create a new starter solution using the Contacts template and the menu command/keyboard shortcut both work as expected.

When I close the Contacts starter solution the keyboard shortcut for Manage>Layouts. . . no longer appears next to the menu command and doesn't work when I open the Contacts starter solution again.

I've trashed the com.filemaker.client.advanced12.plist preferences with no change.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. launch FileMaker Pro Advanced v12.0v1 and confirm that the keyboard short for the Manage>Layouts. . . menu command is available and appears next to the menu command (Shift Command L)

2. Open a starter solution file and confirm that the that the keyboard short for the Manage>Layouts. . . menu command is available and appears next to the menu command (Shift Command L) and works as expected.

3. Close the starter solution file. The keyboard short for the Manage>Layouts. . . menu command is not available and does not appear next to the menu command (Shift Command L)

Expected result

The keyboard short for the Manage>Layouts. . . menu command is available and appears next to the menu command (Shift Command L) at all times.

Actual result

The keyboard short for the Manage>Layouts. . . menu command is not available and does not appear next to the menu command (Shift Command L) after opening/closing a file.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

N/A

FMPA_12_No_Manage_Layouts.png

• 1. Re: Manage Layouts... keyboard shortcut no longer available
          TSGal

databuzz:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the problem on either Mac OS X 10.7.3 or Windows XP (SP3).

Interestingly, from your screen shot, I do not have a keyboard shortcut for either "Value Lists" or "Custom Functions".  Did you add these?  If so, did you create a keyboard shortcut for Shift-Command-L?  Do you have a custom menu active?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Manage Layouts... keyboard shortcut no longer available
            databuzz

Hi TSGal,

I can only test this on Mac OS X 10.6.8 at the moment - do you have any 10.6.8 Mac's you can test this on. I do have 2 keyboard shortcuts that I've added for Value Lists and Custom Functions that I added via System Preferences - they are the only 2 custom keyboard shortcuts that I've created. There are no custom menus active.

To reproduce it today I had to open/close the Contacts starter solution I created a few times - can you try opening/closing the starter solution a few times and checking in between if your keyboard shortcut to Manage Layouts . . . is still there?

Thanks

• 3. Re: Manage Layouts... keyboard shortcut no longer available
              TSGal

databuzz:

I've opened and closed the Contacts starter solution several times (more than 10), and each time, I get the same Shift-Command-L displayed to the right of Manage -> Layouts...

I even went into System Preferences and added the two keyboard shortcuts, closed and opened the Contacts starter solution several times.  Below is my last screen shot.

What other applications do you have running?

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Manage Layouts... keyboard shortcut no longer available
                databuzz

Thanks TSGal,

Can you try this on a Mac OS X 10.6.8 system if you can. I've tried it with no other applications open and can still reproduce this.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Manage Layouts... keyboard shortcut no longer available
                  TSGal

databuzz:

I just tried this on a MacBook running Mac OS X 10.6.8, and after twenty opening and closing of files, the same menu options appear including the additional shortcuts for Values Lists and Custom Functions.

If you remove the the two additional keyboard shortcuts, do you still get the same issue?

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Manage Layouts... keyboard shortcut no longer available
                    databuzz

Thanks TSGal,

I'll keep experimenting. I've just trashed my prefs and removed all keyboard shortcuts and the keyboard short disappeared again. I've now added it back as a keyboard shortcut so at least I can use the shortcut again. Will let you know if I find anything further - I've got it happening on 2 machines here so not sure what the commond factor is.

• 7. Re: Manage Layouts... keyboard shortcut no longer available

I am having the same problem as databuzz:  there is no keyboard shortcut for layout manager (cmd-l).

I am using OS X 10.6.8. 

FileMaker Pro Adv 12.01 and FileMaker Pro Adv 11 (both are installed on this system).

I have verified it in three different files, all of them have no Custom Menus defined on that layout, defaulting to [FileMaker Standard Menus].  Two of the files are custom designed ones, the third was the Contacts Starter Solution.

I have attached a document with screen grabs of the 3 files; one file is shown twice: a FM11 version of one file and the FMP12 version (i.e. we converted the FM11 version to FMP12; FM11 has the shortcut, FM12 does not).  I attest that these are all different.  :)

• 8. Re: Manage Layouts... keyboard shortcut no longer available
                        TSGal

Justin Close (and databuzz):

Thank you for your post.

I've been informed that this issue can appear only under Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6.x).  Apple has been notified of this issue, but no other information is available at this time.  The problem neither occurs with Mac OS X 10.5.x (Leopard) nor Mac OS X 10.7.x (Lion).

Since I am unable to reproduce the problem, go into System Preferences, create a keyboard shortcut for FileMaker Pro 12 and the menu item Value Lists..., and assign the keyboard shortcut Shift-Command-L.  See if this overrides and works.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Manage Layouts... keyboard shortcut no longer available

I have discovered some new (to me at least) information about this bug. 

When I first start FM12 and open a file, the keyboard shortcut IS THERE.  I see the text by the option and I can even use the keyboard combination.

However, the shortcut disappears as soon as I enter layout mode, either from that shortcut, the menu, or the button.  I have also noticed it will disappear after some other windows are launched: Scripts Manager (via keyboard shortcut) is one (using File->Manage->Scripts, it DOESN'T go away); if I use the keyboard shotcut (cmd-shift-L) itself to load Layout Mgr (but same as with Scripts, if using File->Manage->Layouts, it DOESN'T go away).

But once gone, it stays gone until I restart FM12.  It also doesn't appear to be related to the file I am using; many different files have shown the same behavior.

See attached.  Both images are from the same file, in FMPA12 client, just at different stages.  I swear.  :)

To reiterate, I am using OS X 10.6.8.

• 10. Re: Manage Layouts... keyboard shortcut no longer available
                            ericruff

Me too. 10.6.8.  Filemaker 12. Also installed, FM 11, and FM 6.

I will try to upload a screenshot.

• 11. Re: Manage Layouts... keyboard shortcut no longer available
                              james_quiggins

Hello gator2:

Thank you for reporting this issue.

I added your post to the original report to development regarding this issue.

TSwildcat,

FileMaker Inc.