Summary

Mapquest problems

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7 Pro

Description of the issue

Have a mature solution that is being served by Server 11, utilizes a web viewer to display a map of the customer. It has always worked fine (for years) but lately some of our client machines will not display the map. It seems to download and draw the map be then just displays a white screen (in the viewer)It's almost like it's being covered with something that failed to load.

It works on some client machines but not on a growing number of others. Weird.

Google maps still load but will not allow directions to be printed. That used to work fine too.

Not sure what's happening here. Any Ideas? -DJ

Steps to reproduce the problem

I have updated flash, java, reinstalled Filemaker at client, removed various tool bars, ect.

Expected result

see description

Actual result

see description

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message

• 1. Re: Mapquest problems
          djtechwise

chirp chirp (cricket)

• 2. Re: Mapquest problems
            TSGal

Dave J:

Thank you for your post,

The Web Viewer uses the built-in OS WebKit.  For Mac, it would be based on Safari.  With Windows, it would be based on Internet Explorer.

If directions are appearing on some machines but not others, first check the browser preferences to see if pop-ups are being blocked.  If so, turn it off and see if that makes a difference.  You may have to quit and relaunch FileMaker Pro.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Mapquest problems
              djtechwise

Thanks TSGal,

I followed your instructions about the pop up blocker setting in IE, no noticeable effect on my problem. I then tried easing the overall security and privacy settings in IE, that didn't seem to help either. (I restarted Filemaker and IE for each attempt)  I'm thinking that the problem started with the IE v11 update. As the machines in my office applied this update, they lost functionality with map quest.

Now, non of my machines can utilize what used to be a very useful function with the web viewer.

Can you recommend any other specific adjustments to the settings that may affect the web viewer? -DJ

• 4. Re: Mapquest problems
                philmodjunk

Any reason that you don't try Google Maps instead? That one works for me on multiple versions.

• 5. Re: Mapquest problems
                  djtechwise

Hi Phil,

I agree with you, I like google maps better than Map quest too. We started out with GM but I switched to MQ after GM stopped responding in the web viewer. (would not print driving directions)

I know, "Who needs driving directions any more?" I certainly don't. We have some older salespeople here who insist they need it, so everyone gets printed driving directions. (most end up in the recycle bin)

Any thoughts on IEv11 settings that would have an affect on the web viewer? As I mentioned, I can see it draw the map and display it, but then the whole viewer is goes white...as if the map was being covered with something that failed to load. Very strange. -DJ