Summary

Mavericks and FMP Advanced 12.0.5 - Import file does not work

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mavericks (OSX 10.9)

Description of the issue

The dialog box, allowing one to select a file to import, appears and then rapidly disappears, when selecting Import from the menu or using it in a script.  Thus we cannot import new data into our working database under Mavericks (release version)

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

There is no error message.  The application is no longer accessible.  But it can be Quit.

Configuration information

iMac27 (late 2012), 3TB HD, 32GB RAM.

Workaround

Will install Mountain Lion as a virtual machine under Fusion, and run FMP Advanced from there.

• 1. Re: Mavericks and FMP Advanced 12.0.5 - Import file does not work
          philmodjunk

Try creating a brand new file and test the Import Records menu option in it. Do you get the same behavior?

• 2. Re: Mavericks and FMP Advanced 12.0.5 - Import file does not work
            wxtyrs

The problem no longer occurs.  I reimported the data while running FMP on Mountain Lion.

Now, while running it on Mavericks, the dialog box no longer disappears, and the scripts work.

Why - I have not a clue at this stage.

Thank you for the feedback earlier.

• 3. Re: Mavericks and FMP Advanced 12.0.5 - Import file does not work
              wxtyrs

Problem seemingly solved.

• 4. Re: Mavericks and FMP Advanced 12.0.5 - Import file does not work
                philmodjunk

Apologies. As Community leader I can re-open a closed thread. I did so as I am a bit concerned about the integrity of your file.

It's possible that you are dealing with a damaged file that behaved normally until the OS update revealed an issue with the file.

I recommend running a recover on your file just to be on the safe side.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
                3.           Recover does not detect all problems
                5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

PS. you can use the actions menu on the very first post to re-open the thread if you have any additional questions.