Karline

Summary

Maximum # of licensed users

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Description of the issue

I currently use FileMaker Pro 12 as a database for our business. We have several computers that my past director set up using FileMaker Pro a couple of years ago. Everything was running smoothly until yesterday. Two of my part-time aides starting having problems with FileMaker when they were both logged in; sending an error message "the maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro". I understand why this message would pop up but... why is this problem now happening? Just last week both of the aides were on FileMaker Pro and there was no problems, until yesterday. I can't help but wonder if I need to update FileMaker Pro 13.
      Also, where can I go to access the licensed keys for the computers with copies of FileMaker?

• 1. Re: Maximum # of licensed users
          Benjamin Fehr

Karline

Be aware that with FMP12, the number of concurrent users is limited to a maximum of 10.

With FMP13, without any notification, FMI set' that limit down to 5!! Though with FM13, having more than 5 clients requires a entire FM Server installation!

• 2. Re: Maximum # of licensed users
            TSGal

Karline:

Thank you for your post.

To see the installed License Key, launch FileMaker Pro.  Pull down the FileMaker Pro menu (immediately to the right of the Apple menu) and select "About FileMaker Pro...".  In the window that appears, click "Info", and the License Key will be displayed.

Make sure both users are using different License Keys.  Otherwise, one of them will get the error message that the Maximum number of licensed users are currently using this copy of FileMaker Pro.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Maximum # of licensed users
              Karline

Benjamin Fehr: Thank you, I had no idea that upgrading to FileMaker Pro 13 would severely limit my users down to 5 and the requirement of an FM Server installation. I will keep that in mind.

STGal: You were right, two computers have the same license numbers. Is there anyway I can change that? 

• 4. Re: Maximum # of licensed users
                philmodjunk

Is there anyway I can change that?

Re-install FileMaker on one of the two computers and use a different license key when installing.

• 5. Re: Maximum # of licensed users
                  TSGal

Karline:

You will need to uninstall FileMaker Pro from one of the conflicting machines, and then reinstall FileMaker Pro using a License Key that doesn't exist on another machine.  If you are unable to locate another license key that hasn't been used, check with the person(s) who manages the license keys in your area.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.