Maximum number of licensed user on 13v2

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Advanced 13.0v2

Operating system version

OS X 10.9.2

Description of the issue

The ability to open a local file via Open Remote from within Advanced is no longer working.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Create a new file
      2. Turn sharing on for the file File > Sharing... > Share with FileMaker Clients...
      3. Open Remote... > Local Hosts
      4. Receive Maximum Users dialog

Expected result

Expecting to use Advanced in order to test shared functionality on a locally opened file.

Actual result

No longer able to access a file as shared via Advanced.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

(see attached)

Screen_Shot_2014-04-07_at_6.23.46_PM.png

• 1. Re: Maximum number of licensed user on 13v2
          RickWhitelaw

Only one copy of FMP can be open on the same network if you have a single license. Could this be the issue? you're trying to open the file on a different machine, yes?

• 2. Re: Maximum number of licensed user on 13v2
            TSGal

Matt Petrowsky:

Thank you for your post.

You should be able to open a local file remotely provided Network Sharing is turned on.  On my iMac running Mac OS X 10.9.2, I launched FileMaker Pro 13.0v2 and opened Test.fmp12.  I pulled down the File menu and selected Sharing -> Share with FileMaker Clients....    I then turned on Network Sharing for All users.  Once saved, I go to File -> Open Remote..., and I select the host machine  from "Local Hosts" and open Test, and a new window opens with "Test - 2" followed by the host name in parentheses.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Maximum number of licensed user on 13v2
              mattman

To Rick, No, this is not the case. I have tested this on two different machines. An iMac 27 and a 13" MacBook Retina. I get the exact same result on both machines.

It happens when the machines are connected to my local network, although no other machine on the network has a copy of FileMaker open. The only other FileMaker product on the network is a copy of FileMaker Server 12 (dev).

When taking the machine off the network the file does show within Open Remote with the localhost IP of 127.0.0.1 and the file will open hosted then.

However, things just fail no matter what when connected to my local network - despite no other copies of FileMaker even running.

• 4. Re: Maximum number of licensed user on 13v2
                mattman

This is a very odd situation. It happens on my iMac, it happens on my MacBook. I've turned off the network on both computers and as long as the computer is not connected the feature works.

When either computer is connected I get the max license dialog. I have shutdown the FileMaker 12 Server and verified there are no other copies of FileMaker Advanced running on any other machines on my network.

My next step is to simply shut ALL things down and restart my whole network.

• 5. Re: Maximum number of licensed user on 13v2
                  mattman

For anyone who is curious enough to help me troubleshoot this I've made a video of me installing FMPA 13.0.1 and then FMPA 13.0.2 (with a valid license).

I don't think I'm crazy, because I get the exact same results on a different machine on my network. I don't know what would exist on my network to cause this issue and I'm stumped as to why FMPA12 and 13.0.1 will work just fine yet 13.0.2 does not.

After racking my brain, the only thing I can think is a conspiracy and my serial number has been blacklisted. :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1211710/MaxLicenseError.mp4

• 6. Re: Maximum number of licensed user on 13v2
                    TSGal

All:

My initial tests were with a Volume License key for FileMaker Pro Advanced 13.0v2.  When I changed to a single-user license key, I was able to replicate the issue.  I have sent this information along with the video above to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Maximum number of licensed user on 13v2
                      philmodjunk

And I can reproduce this in Windows 7--though I never new it was possible in earlier releases...

Let's make sure that I understand this correctly:

a) Turn on sharing for FileMaker Pro Advanced

b) Open a file that is enabled for sharing

c) pull down the File Menu and select "Open Remote".

d) Select the same computer and then select the hosted file from b) to open.

• 8. Re: Maximum number of licensed user on 13v2
                        TSGal

PhilModJunk:

The steps you have are correct.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Maximum number of licensed user on 13v2
                          philmodjunk

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 10. Re: Maximum number of licensed user on 13v2
                            RickWhitelaw

I am missing something important here and would welcome clarification.  To host a FileMaker file "peer to peer" the hosting machine must have the FMP application running.  The machine requesting the file must also have the application running. Would this not be a violation of the rules regarding a single user license and trigger the message mentioned previously?

Edit. Perhaps I missed that you, Matt, had a volume license.
                            • 11. Re: Maximum number of licensed user on 13v2
                              Fred(CH)

Rick,

The thing you missed is that Matt wanted to connect a FMP to itself, i think, for test proposes or something else. So in that case , there is only one copy of FMP.

Matt,

I also didn't know a such thing was possible wink. I am curious about your proposes in this. Sure you have a good reason and, sure too, it must be interesting. And i wanted also, by the way, thank you one more time for your great sessions about design layout, months ago. Certain tips you provided are helping me every day and positively changed my workflow. Big up, Man.

Bye, Fred

• 12. Re: Maximum number of licensed user on 13v2
                                mattman

Rick and Fred,

FileMaker Advanced, in particular, allows you to open a file locally and then connect to it AS IF it were being hosted on Server. You are, in fact, connecting via port 5003 on localhost to the same file which you opened locally.

This is a feature built into Advanced which allows you to work on and test the multi-user features of your file while not having to host the file on Server or another copy of FileMaker.

It's been around for a while and is just a nice way to test things such as record locks and "server side" code within scripts without having to have access to FileMaker Server.

I hope this clears things up. :)

• 13. Re: Maximum number of licensed user on 13v2
                                  TSGal

Matt Petrowsky:

Our Testing department has confirmed this is new to FileMaker Pro 13.0v2.  They also discovered that if you use 127.0.0.1 as the server in FileMaker Pro 13.0v1 (not 13.0v2), you also get the license key error message.

The information has been sent to Development for further review.  I will continue to keep you posted.

TSGal
                                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Maximum number of licensed user on 13v2
                                    nfouts

Has a solution for this issue been determined?  I am running Filemaker Pro Advanced 13.0v3  Mac OSX 10.9.2 and am having the same problem.   I can not longer develop and trouble shoot iOS Sync solutions because they require the developer to Open Remote to the same single user instance of FMP Advanced while developing.

1 2 Previous Next