1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2017 6:44 AM by TSGal

Memory Leak in FMPA 14 (32 bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit)

SteveMorrisby

Summary

Memory Leak in FMPA 14 (32 bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit)

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

14 Advanced  32 bit

Operating system version

Windows 7 64 bit

Description of the issue

Serious memory leak which caused FMPA 14 to bloat to over 3.2 Gb of memory used until it froze with an out of memory on Line 1 error message.

Scenario:  I was doing development work - mainly layout work, and mainly involving a fairly complicated layout - over a period of hours.
      Memory allocation (from Task Manager) vs time is as follows:
        184Mb at 1222 after closing & reopening
        1024 Mb at 1400 after a bit more layout work & lunch break
        1271 Mb at 1420 after a bit more layout work
        1545 Mb at 1505 after a bit more layout work
        2218 Mb at 1600 - FM14 now going a bit slow
        2761 Mb at 1700 hrs
        2842 Mb at 1735 hrs
        3208 Mb at 1805 hrs out of memory at line 1 can't even close

Subsequently, after restarting I tried leaving it idle for 12 hours - and no noticeable increase.

I also tried with and without other programs running, but that made no difference.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Do about 6 hours solid development work on a fairly complex layout  (about 10 tab panels and about 9 portals), flipping between that & other layout and layout & browse mode and testing by runnning an insert file / insert picture script.

Expected result

a reasonable growth in memory utilisisatio - maybe up to half a Gb

Actual result

Over 3 gb until it ran out of memory

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Out of Memory at line:1

(I actually thought it originally said Out of Memory at line:571, but by the time I'd fired the snipping tool  (about 3 seconds) it showed:
      "Out of Memory at line:1"

Configuration information

I used the 32 bit version of FM 14 as I'd had a problem with a previous install of 64 bit.
      I had also heard of others having problems with the 64 bit version of FMP14

Workaround

Can only restart it. afaik.

Memory__3208_Mb_at_1805_hrs_out_of_memory_at_line_1_can%27t_even_close_.PNG

• 1. Re: Memory Leak in FMPA 14 (32 bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit)
          TSGal

Steve Morrisby:

Thank you for your post.

Were you specifically working on one layout or many layouts?  What actions were you taking?  Did you move between Browse and Layout modes?  Or, were you simply in Layout mode the entire time?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in replicating the issue.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Memory Leak in FMPA 14 (32 bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit)
            SteveMorrisby

Hi TSGal

Thanks for your email.

I was primarily working on one layout – half the time I was mainly coalescing 3 similar layouts into one by making use of overlaid Tab Panels and hide calculations.  And the other half of the time I was doing insert file / insert picture.  So I was moving between several layouts (about 6 or 8 in all) but the focus was on the one (fairly complex) layout which had a lot of small changes – mainly positional ones - and switching between layout & browse mode a lot.  A bit of scripting too, mainly tweaking about 4 or 6 scripts – with a fair bit of inserting extra steps into the script using the comment feature.

It’s rare that I have such a long continuous session, and for the last hour I really kept going just to see what would happen to the memory.

Also, fyi:  I did run the windows memory checker and the memory is all OK.  And no other programs have any problems.

Subsequently I kept a closer eye on the memory usage and it does increase when doing development work – which for me always seems to involve layout mode, even if I’m not changing the layouts much.

Here’s an example from this morning which has a bit of interest:  Here I was mainly doing script work, and the only layout work was creating 1 simple layout via the wizard.  But I was in layout mode a lot.

Memory  192 Mb after fresh start in the morning at 1005

Memory  473 Mb after a little bit of work 1205

Memory  880 Mb after script work and inserting files.  1325 hrs

After I’d done the screenshot of the 880 Mb, I then tried to access the file from a mac. The Mac said the PC wasn't hosting any files.  (Sharing was on and it had worked previously when the host was unbloated).  Even "recent files" didn't work.

I then restarted the PC and immediately the mac was able to connect.  And the memory went down to 162Mb.  ie sharing now did work.

My only other thought is that as I couldn’t find any references to this issue it occurred to me that running 32 bit FM on a 64bit OS may be unusual.  And I also wonder how many developers don't bother looking at the memory usage.

Please let me know if you can reproduce this.

TIA

Best Regards

Steve

• 3. Re: Memory Leak in FMPA 14 (32 bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit)
              TSGal

Steve Morrisby:

After an hour, I am not noticing any major changes in memory.  Therefore, I have sent the entire forum thread to our Development and Testing departments for guidance, and they also have the resources to test this for long period of time.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Memory Leak in FMPA 14 (32 bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit)
                TSGal

Steve Morrisby:

One of the testers has asked for more information:

1. What other objects are on the layout inside the tab panels and portals?  How many pictures?
                2. What theme is being used in the layout(s)?
                3. Were any scripts created or edited?  If so, how many?  How many steps are the scripts?
                4. Is the development work being done locally or accessed remotely?

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Memory Leak in FMPA 14 (32 bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit)
                  SteveMorrisby

The best I can do to answer your question was is to attach a copy of the file which I was using. And you'll see why it was difficult to explain in words.

The main one is called Clients and the work I was doing was a getting a little document management system working. You mentioned pictures and that's what the portal I was working on is for. Quite a lot of pictures and files being inserted and deleted.  (The idea  being that whilst references to the originals would be what is stored, thumbnails would be created for the pictures using the getThumbnails function (getThumbnails for files don't work on Windows, only pictures. But to get the thumbnail reliably on Windows you need to embed the picture in order to create (i.e. get) the thumbnail. So every picture which is captured in the documents table and displayed in the portal has actually been embedded and discarded with only the reference stored. (I should point out that the file and image store is a  Google Drive so that others can have equal access to it from different locations, linked over the Internet).  I have removed all the records (there was about 50)

There are two other similar layout called suppliers and others. The main difference being in the collection of portals in the time Control Panel in the north-east corner.

I was also combining the 3 north east corner tab Control Panels so that instead of using three layouts and flipping between them using script triggers, they could all coalesce into one layout with the customising being done by the hide calculations.

As well as these two layouts the other layouts were the three or four layout based on the documents table.

The scripts used almost exclusively were the first four in the documents folder in the scripting.

The file is called Chiltern Global 09e.  And this is a copy taken early on in that long session.

You can see the NE corner Tab Controls  have been copied into the scratch area of clients from suppliers and others.

My first attempt was to try overlaying the three tab controls, and have each tab control grouped so that it sat on a larger filled rectangle.  (Rather like a club sandwich).  interestingly this approach appeared to work if the filled rectangles were filled with grey. But if filled with solid white then despite the rectangle the middle could disappear.  On the other hand, this could well have been a symptom of the memory problem. Or perhaps it could have been a cause. 

I could say more but I have to go now I'm afraid. Let me know if you'd like version G of the file which shows what the final outcome was so you would get an idea of what I was actually trying to achieve.

Best regards

Steve=

• 6. Re: Memory Leak in FMPA 14 (32 bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit)
                    TSGal

Steve Morrisby:

Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send a copy of the file.

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Memory Leak in FMPA 14 (32 bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit)
                      TSGal

Steve Morrisby:

File has been received.  Thank you.

I have sent the file to Development and Testing for review.  I will keep you posted.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Memory Leak in FMPA 14 (32 bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit)
                        SteveMorrisby

Hi

I have done some further delving and I think I may have found something I was doing which contributed to the memory leak and so suggest a way to replicate it.

( First:  a couple of notes:
                        I suspect that the layout itself is a contributory factory:  It’s fairly complex (well, by my standards anyway)
                        (btw:  I’m working with the layout spread across 2 screens –  it shouldn’t make any difference, but I thought I should mention it)
                        The theme is a custom one, and a bit messy.   But probably not atypical.

Anyway:  You will see some tab control panels which contain further nested tabs with portals.

What I noticed was that if you change the portals relationships and then change the fields to reflect the new relationship, then there was an increase in memory used  (which one would expect, istm).  What’s more, when switching to Browse mode, the  memory doesn’t decrease (as I would have expected as I would have thought it would forget the undo history) and sometimes actually increases.

If you do a lot of these changes then the memory usage keeps increasing.

It is unusual for me to change the internals of more than one portal at a time , which is probably why I hadn’t seen this before.  (and if it’s unusual for others, then that may explain why it’s not commonly reported)

I hope this is of some help.

Regards

Steve

• 9. Re: Memory Leak in FMPA 14 (32 bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit)
                          TSGal

Steve Morrisby:

Thank you for the additional information.  I have attached this information to the original report.

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Memory Leak in FMPA 14 (32 bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit)
                            Steve Wright

Just to add to this, I am seeing similar memory usage issues on Windows 10 x64, mainly using FMPA 14.04 x64 but have also tried with FMPA 14.04 x86 to see if it was specific to the 64 bit build, which it's not, it happens on both.

I have not pinpointed it to anything specific at this point, just general development such as layout / script work throughout the day.

I have not had it cause any crashing / error dialogs though, I usually notice things becoming sluggish in the script workspace etc at which point I check the memory, see its extremely high and close / reopen my files.

Edit: As it turns out, I can pinpoint one cause... at least on my machine.

Opening and closing the script workspace (even with no scripts open for editing / viewing) increases the memory by about 25mb each time and does not recover from this.  Repeating this has just enabled me to push the memory usage to 1,148mb ( and thats because I stopped).  On file open it sits around 350mb.

screenshot.PNG

After the above, I repeated the same steps, doing absolutely nothing else, just open script workspace, close script workspace.

screenshot2.png

I hope this helps.  P.S You have my files already if you wish to try to replicate this behaviour. 
                            I am using the 'interface' file (same one as per the crashing whilst saving scripts issue.)

• 11. Re: Memory Leak in FMPA 14 (32 bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit)
                              hschlossberg

TSGal wrote:

1. What other objects are on the layout inside the tab panels and portals?  How many pictures?
                              2. What theme is being used in the layout(s)?
                              3. Were any scripts created or edited?  If so, how many?  How many steps are the scripts?
                              4. Is the development work being done locally or accessed remotely?

Steve M mentioned tab controls and Steve W mentioned the scripting workspace.  My experience has been that, while I almost always have the scripting workspace open, and it is always very slow to open, it does not by itself cause me memory issues. And while this memory issue has plagued me for a while, my experience in the past week or two has been centered around a couple layouts where there are no tab objects.

I'd attribute the problem to the button definition dialog; I don't know what those types of dialogs are officially called, so I'll call it a flyover panel (so as not to confuse it with layout popover objects).  If Steve M was talking about sliding panels, then flyover-styled dialogs are involved there; same with using the 'options' gear on script steps in the scripting workspace.  In my case, it is only when I open one of these flyover panels that (after doing it for a few hours) CPU shoots up, memory usage shoots up, and I have to wait 15-30 seconds for the flyover to open.  Once I close the flyover, CPU usage goes down to normal but memory usage remains at the increased level.

To answer TSGal's questions from Aug 4:

1) I have no tab panels on the most recent layout.  It is a complex list-view layout with many one-button button bars on each row, where each of those buttons activates a popover, and each popover has a portal on it.  There are no pictures involved.

2) The theme on this most recent layout is Classic (because how many hours and hours of effort am I really supposed to apply in trying to convert it to anything else?!?!?!)

3) There are always many scripts created and/or edited while on this layout, accessed directly from button definitions or from within the script workspace itself.  While scripting is usually slow going in waiting for the script windows to open, no matter how many steps or how many scripts are open at once, the memory issue persist even after closing the script workspace, and only when opening a flyover-styled dialog (such as button definition or sliding panel definition).

4) My development work is nearly all done remotely.  In these latest cases of memory leakage, it is remotely through a client's VPN.

Hope that helps...

Howard

• 12. Re: Memory Leak in FMPA 14 (32 bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit)
                                Steve Wright

Just a short follow up.

For the last hour, I left my machine with FM & My solution files open in the above state, idle.

The memory usage is still sitting at 1701.2mb.

I can also reproduce this with a brand new blank file, no scripts, fields etc.  The only difference being is the memory usage increases at a lower rate, but it still increases and never recovers.

• 13. Re: Memory Leak in FMPA 14 (32 bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit)
                                  TSGal

hschlossberg and SWSSolutions:

Thank you for your additional observations and screen shots.  I have sent this information back to your respective reports (I kept them separate).  I'll keep you posted.

Please continue to report any other observations.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Memory Leak in FMPA 14 (32 bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit)
                                    TSGal

All:

Testing has been able to reproduce the memory leak with opening and closing the Script Workspace.  The information has been sent to Development for review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next