Summary

Memory leak with FMPro 14?

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7 64-bit, 6 GB ram

Description of the issue

I am new to Filemaker, but had been using the 30-day trial without issues.

Today I installed Filemaker Pro 14, which worked fine initially. However, after a while (about an hour of the program being open) my computer became very slow and Filemaker was unresponsive.

After looking at the task manager and opening and closing various problems, it became clear that when Filemaker is open the physical memory usage climbs up until it reaches about 98 percent, at which point the computer becomes nearly unresponsive. When Filemaker is closed, the physical memory usage drops back to normal and the computer starts to respond normally again.

I am new to Filemaker, so I do not know - is this a problem with the new version, or has it been an issue before?

Steps to reproduce the problem

I have reproduced this problem several times today - after about an hour of use, FMPro 14 is using too much RAM and the computer becomes unresponsive.

• 1. Re: Memory leak with FMPro 14?
          VincentL

are you editing several scripts (several scripts opened in script maker), and with large script maker windows ?

• 2. Re: Memory leak with FMPro 14?
            KatherineMcDonald

Sorry, I'm not sure what "script" means in this context, but I don't think that was what I was doing. I'll describe more closely what I was doing anyway.

I had started building a database in the free trial version. The database has about 900 entries, and around 20 fields to each entry. The fields are all text or containers. The containers generally contain photographs, probably several thousand in total. The database is saved on dropbox. All of this was put together on the trial version of FileMaker Pro without issues.

When the problem occurred, I was adding text to one of the text fields on each entry. I only had one FileMaker window open, on Form View.

As I said, after an hour or so of adding text to the database, FileMaker seemed to be using so much RAM that it became nearly unresponsive.

I can provide a screenshot if that would be helpful.

• 3. Re: Memory leak with FMPro 14?
              Benjamin Fehr

The database is saved on dropbox.

This catches my attention. I'm not sure how your solution is interacting with DropBox.

If you have your solution locally stored though that no DropBox is involved, can you reproduce this issue?

• 4. Re: Memory leak with FMPro 14?
                KatherineMcDonald

OK - you are right, when working locally, there is no issue.

The issue seems to be caused when Dropbox is syncing the changes to the fmp file. 

I guess this provides a workaround for me, but is this a known issue with FMP and Dropbox? Is there anyway to solve it other than working locally and saving to Dropbox later, or to pause Dropbox sync while I'm working?

• 5. Re: Memory leak with FMPro 14?
                  KatherineMcDonald

I will continue working and see if the problem persists with Dropbox sync paused.

• 6. Re: Memory leak with FMPro 14?

Katherine McDonald:

Thank you for the post.

“I will continue working and see if the problem persists with Dropbox sync paused.”

This would not be recommended either. 

“when working locally, there is no issue.”

If not using FileMaker’s Network Sharing feature, then working locally would be the best option. 

“is this a known issue with FMP and Dropbox?”

This is not a known issue but a limitation of the software’s design and working on a database file from a shared location could eventually corrupt your database. You should completely avoid OS level file sharing and making changes to a file on a network shared drive (like Dropbox).

OS level file sharing can lead to file corruption

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Memory leak with FMPro 14?
                      KatherineMcDonald

Huh, ok thanks. I feel like this is not very clearly publicised! 

I am not sharing the database with anyone else, I simply back up all my files using Dropbox, since I live in two different cities alternately. FMserver is not really a cost-effective solution for this. Does it still matter if I know that there is no possibility of the file being opened by two computers at the same time? 

• 8. Re: Memory leak with FMPro 14?

Katherine McDonald:

Thank you for the reply.

“Does it still matter if I know that there is no possibility of the file being opened by two computers at the same time?”

Regardless of the number of users making changes to the file, we did not test modifying a database on a shared network drive. Changes only being made by a single-user may mitigate the risk; however, those changes are still being read/written over a network and a drop in network connection could lead to a partial or incomplete change and damage the database file. 

Best practice would be to never change a file on a network shared drive. 

“I feel like this is not very clearly publicised!”

We appreciate the feedback and are always looking to improve our knowledge base. Is there something in the article linked above that we could change to more clearly make this point?

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Memory leak with FMPro 14?
                          KatherineMcDonald

Thank you very much for your answers, that's been helpful. I appreciate it.

Well, I used the free trial for a while, and went through all the demo tutorial material. I went through the site a bit before I bought the software to make sure it would do what I needed. I also googled things I thought I might need help with, including "using filemaker pro with dropbox".

Nowhere in any of those processes did I read anything that suggested there would be a problem using FMP with Dropbox. People discuss issues with Dropbox and FileMaker Go quite a bit, but that's not what I was doing. In fact, there are a number of places where people actively recommend using Dropbox (as long as there aren't multiple simultaneous users and so on), including on these forums. So I'd say that this information definitely isn't out there, even for someone actively looking for it.

If nothing else, as a non-expert user, with no IT background, who is using FMP for my own work in academic research - I had no idea the Dropbox system was called "OS level file sharing"! That article you link to would have given me no indication at all that I was doing something wrong unless someone told me what that meant, as you did.

It's so standard to use Dropbox to back up files now, at least in my corner of academia - it's a much bigger drawback to the software than I realised.

• 10. Re: Memory leak with FMPro 14?

Katherine McDonald:

Thank you for the additional feedback.

I forwarded your comments and this thread to our Documentation department to see if we can improve our messaging in the future. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Memory leak with FMPro 14?
                              philmodjunk

You can always back up your files to Drop Box. I do that with Filemaker 13 all the time with no issue. What you do not want to do is try to use Drop Box to share the database with other users who also open the file from the same drop box folder. You can use Save a Copy to send back up copies to a drop box folder for example.

When keeping the file in Drop Box, I've never seen Drop Box corrupt a file as Drop Box will generate new copies of the file in the Drop Box folder each time the file is opened from a different machine, but it since each copy was opened by a different user, the result is mass confusion as each copy will have a different version of the same data as each user is modifying a separate copy of the file.

And I keep the Known Bugs List in Drop box so that I (as the only user) can access it from different machines (and I still get extra copies once in a while and have to figure out which to keep) I've never seen such a slow down with FMP Adv 13, but then this file is relatively small and does not take long to update.

So this could be a change with FMP 14.

• 12. Re: Memory leak with FMPro 14?
                                Crispin

Hi Katherine

I have a half fix for you. You can program a script to save a copy of the db to Dropbox every half hour or so. Then when you move location you copy the file out of Dropbox to the Desktop and it will start autosaving any changes back into Dropbox. If your paths are the same I think it just needs two scripts

Script A that calls Script B using the Instal OnTimer script

Script B with just the Save a copy script step

Then in File Options / Script Triggers set script A to run when the file is opened.

Crispin

• 13. Re: Memory leak with FMPro 14?
                                  KatherineMcDonald

Thanks guys, this has been really helpful!