4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2009 6:15 PM by joeyb

Merge Fields Not Working

joeyb

Summary

Merge Fields Not Working

Description of the issue

Now, this is one of the weirdest problems I have had with FM. I have a Communications table that is linked to a Contacts table. The Communications layout contains related calling notes, etc. for individual contacts. In the Communications/Contacts layout that shows me all of the communications records for a particular contact, I have clear access to viewing each of the communications field. Here's where things get weird: when I try to create a merge field for a field for a field in that table, the data does not appear; all I will see, for example, is the representation of the merge field, such as . I haven't been able to replicate this problem for any other table or relationship in my database and, in fact, if I use the same table and create a whole new relationship that is identical to the relationship that doesn't work, the problem disappears. And what's also peculiar is that the merge field issue exists for fields that are actually from that Communications table. I suppose I could spend numerous hours rebuilding relationships and related scripts, but I'd prefer to get some understanding of what possible issues could be impacting my existing relationships to my Communications table. Has anyone ever experienced similar merge field problems and, if so, what is wrong? By the way, I have FileMaker on multiple computers and even if I open a copy of my file on different computers, the problem persists. Please help.

• 1. Re: Merge Fields Not Working
          TSGal

rightousbro:

Thank you for your post.

Without seeing the Layout, it is difficult to determine what may be the cause.

It is possible that layout is corrupt.  What occurs if you create a new Layout and insert a new Merge field.  Does the data appear?

In the old layout, is the Merge Field in a Body? Sub-Summary?  Header?  Footer?

Any additional information may help me determine what are some other possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Merge Fields Not Working
            joeyb
               This happens even when I create a new layout. The merge field is in the body. As I mentioned in my original comments, the data will display if the field is placed onto the layout, but if I use a merge field, it will read like this <<DateModified>>. This problem even persisted in a clone of the file and in a recovered file.
            • 3. Re: Merge Fields Not Working
              TSGal

rightousbro:

Obviously, there is something wrong with the file.

I have sent you a private message (top of this screen - right side - just below the blue bar - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Merge Fields Not Working
                joeyb
                   Thanks. I will get this out to you this weekend.