5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2013 10:09 AM by philmodjunk

Merge fields will not work on layout of table, but display on layout if use selfjoin

cookidge

Summary

Merge fields will not work on layout of table, but display on layout if use selfjoin

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 8.1

Description of the issue

If I have a layout of my table Committees, merge fields from that table will not display. However, if I create a self-join relationship and try to display the merge fields from the SJ on my same layout of Committees, they display properly.

Expected result

I expected the merge fields to display properly on a layout within that table.

Actual result

Do not display.

Workaround

They display properly on my same layout if I use the merge fields from a Self Join relationship.

• 1. Re: Merge fields will not work on layout of table, but display on layout if use selfjoin
          TSGal

Andrew Cooke:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  Here is what I have done.

1. I created a table named (aptly) "Committees" with two fields: "Last Name" and "First Name"

2. I entered one record with the contents "TSGal" for both Last Name and First Name.

3. I removed the fields from the layout, and only put the merge contents:  <<Last name>>

4. In Browse Mode, "TSGal" appears.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you.  Also, try creating a new layout (do not duplicate) and place a Merge field on the new layout.  Does this work?

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Merge fields will not work on layout of table, but display on layout if use selfjoin
            philmodjunk

Try creating a small new layout in a brand new file and put some merge fields on it. Do they display as you expect?

Try creating anew simple layout in your current file and put some merge fields on it. Does that work?

You may find that your file or just a layout is damaged. A damaged layout can be replaced. A damaged file can be recovered, but in both cases, it's better to replace with an undamaged back up if you have one.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
            3.           Recover does not detect all problems
            5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
            7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 3. Re: Merge fields will not work on layout of table, but display on layout if use selfjoin
              cookidge

Hi TSGal, 

I am doing everything exactly the same as you, which leads me to believe that the file is corrupted, as PhilModJunk suggested. I have tried a new layout to see if the layout is corrupted, but it still happens. 

What causes a file to become corrupted? I have a client whose database was also corrupted earlier this year. 

• 4. Re: Merge fields will not work on layout of table, but display on layout if use selfjoin
                TSGal

Andrew Cooke:

Corruption can occur many different ways.  Corruption can occur in data, with graphics, with objects (fields, rectangles, other layout objects), etc.  The causes can include low memory, memory conflicts when writing to disk, bad sectors on disk, etc.

Make a copy of your last backup, and see if you are able to reproduce the issue.  If so, then open a previous backup and try again.  If one of the backups work as expected, then find the new data in the corrupt file, then select the backup file and import from the corrupt file so that all the data is up-to-date.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Merge fields will not work on layout of table, but display on layout if use selfjoin
                  philmodjunk

And putting a file in a shared directory so that multiple users try to open the file directly instead of Open Remote can also damage a file.