1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2009 2:54 PM by TSGal

Misc FM 10 Status Bar Bugs

ssmith_1

Summary

Misc FM 10 Status Bar Bugs

Description of the issue

Windows XP (SP2), FMPA 10 1) Using the reset button to reset the status toolbar leaves a black section on the bottom half of the records slider, book and piechart.  (I'd provide a screenshot, but there doesn't seem to be a place to do that here without owning a url.) 2) Clicking on the layout menu on the layout bar section of the status toolbar doesn't do anything until releasing that button.  Defies standard interface behavior for such objects. 3) When customizing status bar, you cannot add or remove the  'Records' object in browse mode (the object with the slider, book and pie chart).  It just doesn't do anything.  You can however manipulate this by making the window smaller that the width of the status bar and the clicking the thin button at the very right of the status bar to uncheck (or recheck) the Records object. 4) There's no way to detach or completely turn off the layout bar, as these buttons should never be used by custom solution users.  Grayed out, unusable buttons (with tooltips, no less, to tell the end user what they are missing) are confusing and depressing for end users who are not given full control.  Same goes for all the buttons in the status area.  Poorly, POORLY, POOOORRRRLLLLYYYY designed. 5) Changing button size on Mac doesn't do anything.  Windows doesn't even allow resizing of buttons.  6) Status bar is waaayyyy too high proportionate to its width.  Much too top-heavy for the window.   Not resizable.  Gray color would have been good on Windows platform 3-5 years ago; might have been good on Mac about 10 years ago.  This is modernization?  What about custom colors and skins?!?!?! The FM10 product home page makes a big deal about interface modernization.  As far as I can tell, though, this status bar is it.  What a shame that it will always be hidden and locked for its overall lack of customization and control.   

• 1. Re: Misc FM 10 Status Bar Bugs
          amallo_1
             I get the same screen refresh issue with the black section on the bottom half of the records slider etc. I'm also using Windows XP (SP2), FMPA 10. 
          • 2. Re: Misc FM 10 Status Bar Bugs
            BruceR

"When customizing status bar, you cannot add or remove the  'Records' object in browse mode (the object with the slider, book and pie chart)."

Definitely not my experience. It can be added, removed, or moved. 

"There's no way to detach or completely turn off the layout bar"

They are part of the status area. They go away if you hide the status area. 

• 3. Re: Misc FM 10 Status Bar Bugs
              ssmith_1

Perhaps you're on a Mac, Bruce?  I'm on Windows XP.  'Records' appears in the customization window but it cannot be dragged anywhere on the status bar, nor can the existing 'record' object group be dragged anywhere at all.

I should note that the 'record' object group CAN be turned on and off by narrowing the window so that some buttons don't fit on the status area.  This causes a button to appear on the right to display additional buttons and it also allows additional customization options not available on the regular customization window.

BruceR wrote:

"When customizing status bar, you cannot add or remove the  'Records' object in browse mode (the object with the slider, book and pie chart)."

Definitely not my experience. It can be added, removed, or moved. 

• 4. Re: Misc FM 10 Status Bar Bugs
                TSGal

ssmith:

Thank you for your detailed posts.

I was able top verify the first four points, but unable to verify point #5.  That is, I could change a button size on a Mac and Windows.  Let me know what I am doing differently than you.

1. I went into Layout mode and created an oval object.

2. I selected the object, pulled down the Format menu and selected Button Setup...

3. I set the button to switch to a different layout.

4. I went into Browse mode and clicked on the button to make sure it works properly.

5. I returned to Layout mode and resized the button.

I have entered your other points (1-4, 6) into our FileMaker Pro 10 Issues database that is monitored by both Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) teams.  Your feedback is extremely important, and as you run into more problems, PLEASE let us know.  It may take a few days here to catch up with all these other posts, so please be patient.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Misc FM 10 Status Bar Bugs
                  TSGal

BruceR:

From an earlier post, I noticed you were running on a Macintosh.  Removing the Records object when customizing the Status bar is possible on a Macintosh, but not on Windows.  I have verified this.

Also, the point that "ssmith" made about turning off the layout bar is that it is attached to the Status bar.  If you want to only show the Status bar and not the Layout bar, this isn't possible on either platform.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Misc FM 10 Status Bar Bugs
                    TSGal

ssmith and amallo:

Testing has come back to me saying they can't duplicate the problem with the black section at the bottom of the records slider.  For the life of me, I can't duplicate it anymore!  I reset the status toolbar many times, and nada...  If you have a consistent way of duplicating the problem, let me know, and I'll try it again and pass it on.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Misc FM 10 Status Bar Bugs
                      jmfeeney
                         I encountered this problem too when I first installed FMP10. However, I don't recall it occuring again after a relaunch of FileMaker. I may try reinstalling again to see if it only appears on a clean install. I think it only appeared in Layout mode until I exited FileMaker.
                      • 8. Re: Misc FM 10 Status Bar Bugs
                        ssmith_1
                           TSGal -- you were resizing layout object buttons, but all of my issues were in regard to Status Bar buttons.  Status bar button icons cannot be resized on Windows.  There is no option to do so.  Further, while we can change all of the status bar buttons to text-only, this makes no difference in the height of the status bar itself.  I would have expected smaller buttons to also allow for a smaller status bar.  That is how ALL other applications work.
                        • 9. Re: Misc FM 10 Status Bar Bugs
                          ssmith_1

TSGal wrote:

Testing has come back to me saying they can't duplicate the problem with the black section at the bottom of the records slider.  

No, I'm unable to get it to happen again, either.  My guess is that it was only after FM10 installation and that some resource got properly set after I shut down and reopened(?).

• 10. Re: Misc FM 10 Status Bar Bugs
                            TSGal

ssmith:

Thanks for the clarification of point #5.  Yes, there is no resizing of Status bar buttons on Windows.

When I change the display to Show "Text Only", the Status Bar definitely changes in height.  I do not know why your Status Bar height doesn't change.

I agree that Smaller Icons should decrease the Status Bar some, but it does not.  Actually, when I look at it closely, the height of each icon does NOT change.  Only the space between the icons change.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Misc FM 10 Status Bar Bugs
                              hschlossberg

Here's what I got when I removed the Records object from the toolbar (Win XP SP2) (using the checkboxes that show when you reduce the window a bit so that the button shows on the right, which gives you many more options for customization):

• 12. Re: Misc FM 10 Status Bar Bugs
                                TSGal

howards:

Thank you for your post and image.

I'm unable to duplicate the problem, but I think it may have to do with the icons.  Interesting that your icons in the Status Area are gone.  I thought this was only possible on a Mac.  How were you able to do this?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 13. Re: Misc FM 10 Status Bar Bugs
                                  hschlossberg

Status bar buttons can be changed to text only by right-clicking on the toolbar, select 'customize' and, with that window open right-click on each individual button and you'll see the option for text only.  Of course, it would be nice if there were a global way to change the buttons, and it would be nice if the height of the status bar were reduced any in doing this.

You'll see I was able to remove the 'Records' object from the toolbar, as well, which DOES reduce the height of the toolbar (though it removes the most essential functionality).  But this CANNOT be done from the Customize window.  It was done by making the window small enough so that not all buttons fit on the bar.  This causes a little button to appear on the right side of the toolbar to display the 'hidden' buttons, and clicking on this button also reveals 'add or remove buttons', which then reveals 'status toolbar', which then allows you to check or uncheck the Records object.  Your engineers have certainly found the most roundabout way of doing things!!!

• 14. Re: Misc FM 10 Status Bar Bugs
                                    TSGal

howards:

First of all, thanks for the information about Text Only.

Yes, the problem with the Records object under Windows has been reported.

However, even with Records object removed and the icons removed (text only), my Status bar reduced in size but I could not get the doubling to occur as shown in your screen shot.

There was a problem also reported earlier that a large black object appeared after changing the Status Bar back to default, and I was initially able to reproduce it.  However, on second and third attempts, this went away, as it did for the other users, too.  I'm hoping this is somehow related to your screen shot and the doubling.  Are you able to now duplicate this on a consistent basis?

I'm running this on Windows XP (SP3).

Any additional information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for showing me how to change the Status Bar icons to Text Only.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

1 2 Previous Next