Summary

Missing info in FieldType

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OSX 10.6.4

Description of the issue

The Design function "FieldType ( fileName ; fieldName )" does not report that a field is defined as a global in this six instances:

Global Calculation ContainerField
      Global Calculation DateField
      Global Calculation NumberField
      Global Calculation TextField
      Global Calculation TimeField
      Global Calculation TimeStampField

Notice in the screen dump below that line 2-7 (Non-Global fields) have the same FieldType response as the blue section with 6 lines displaying Global field further down. The blue lines should have included a "Global" in the FieldType response.

Without a "Global" in the FieldType response it is impossible for a script - as an automatic process - to determine if a field with one of the mentioned 6 definitions is a global field or not. Only a human being can decide - because he or she can visually inspect "Option" in the Manage Database for

" window.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Use FieldType ( fileName ; fieldName ) to a field, which is defined as mentioned above.

FileMaker_Pro_AdvancedScreenSnapz001.png

• 1. Re: Missing info in FieldType
          MogensBrun

I should add that the missing "Global" information makes it impossible to decide if the current field is a "Global" field or a "Non-Global" field. Same FieldType is returned in both situations.

• 2. Re: Missing info in FieldType
            LaRetta_1

Interesting. Another way is to create a calculation and make it global (and text) and then script with one step of:

Show Custom Dialog [ FieldType ( Get ( FileName )  ; Get ( ActiveFieldName ) )

Place cursor in field and fire script.  It says "StoredCalc Text Unindexed 1"

Globals, by their very nature, are unstored.

• 3. Re: Missing info in FieldType
              MogensBrun

Yes. Basically it was the method I used. However, you will get the same result returned in this two situations:

(1) From a field defined as Global Calculation ContainerField and

(1) From a field defined as Non-Global Calculation ContainerField.

So a script - as an automatic process - can't from the result of FieldType determine, if current field is a global or non-global field in the 6 instances mentioned in my first posting. Only you - as a human being - might know, because you can visually inspect "Options" in "Manage Database for <Table>".

• 4. Re: Missing info in FieldType
                TSGal

mogens:

Thank you for your post.

I am able to replicate your results on both Mac OS X 10.6.5 and Windows XP.

I have forwarded your posts to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for further review.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.