5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2009 1:57 PM by aditsu

Missing IS_AUTOINCREMENT

aditsu

Summary

Missing IS_AUTOINCREMENT

Description of the issue

I'm using "DataDirect SequeLink Client for JDBC" to connect to FMS 8. I called the DatabaseMetaData.getColumns method to get information about a table's columns, and according to the javadoc, http://is.gd/Lon9 , there should be 23 columns of information, the last one being IS_AUTOINCREMENT, but I only seem to get the first 22, and IS_AUTOINCREMENT is missing.

• 1. Re: Missing IS_AUTOINCREMENT
          TSGal

aditsu:

Thank you for your post.

IS_AUTOINCREMENT is probably returning an empty string.  As per the documentation you sent:

YES -- if the column is auto incremented

NO -- if the column is not auto incremented

empty string -- if it cannot be determined whether the column is auto incremented parameter is unknown

Since this is the last of 23 columns, it will appear nothing exists for this column.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Missing IS_AUTOINCREMENT
            aditsu

No, this is NOT what is happening!

getColumns returns a ResultSet with 22 columns, not 23. There is no column named IS_AUTOINCREMENT. Trying to read IS_AUTOINCREMENT results in an exception as the column does not exist in the ResultSet.

• 3. Re: Missing IS_AUTOINCREMENT
              TSGal

aditsu:

Thank you for the information.  I neither have access to FileMaker Pro 8, nor an application that connects to FileMaker Pro via JDBC.  I will try and get more information here.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Missing IS_AUTOINCREMENT
                TSGal

aditsu:

Here is the latest information I received from Development...

"IS_AUTOINCREMENT is a Java 1.6 feature.  Current version FileMaker Pro 9 or FileMaker Pro 10 supports only Java 1.4 APIs.  So the JDBC driver for FileMaker Pro 8 definitely doesn't support the 1.6 feature.  We tested with Java 1.5 for FileMaker Pro 10, but it was just compatibility testing.  Any attempt reading IS_AUTOINCREMENT column meta data will result in undefined behavior."

I would encourage you to enter this into our Product Suggestion web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/feature_request.html

Although I could copy your posts and paste it into the web form, there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.

The information from this web form is read by members of Product Management and Development.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Missing IS_AUTOINCREMENT
                  aditsu
                     Thanks, I wasn't aware that it was a java 1.6/jdbc 4.0 feature.