12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2015 9:53 AM by TSGal

Missing Re-Link possibility when changing DSN-reference of external ODBC-datasource

TP_1

Summary

Missing Re-Link possibility when changing DSN-reference of external ODBC-datasource

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v2          [probably any]

Operating system version

Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 (x64)          [probably any]

Description of the issue

When changing the DSN-reference of an external ODBC-datasource to a new DSN which references a new database, but the old database still exists, the Re-Link button is not shown. So after changing, the new database should be accessed, but still the old database is accessed, even though you chose the new DSN refering to the new database.

(A similar problem is when you want to change the base-folder of an externally stored container, but the old folder still contains data. FileMaker wouldn't let you change the base-folder in this case. The workaround is simimal to the one from the ODBC problem above. See below.)

Steps to reproduce the problem

Use MySQL v5.6 compatible for the external databases (old/new) and MySQL Connector/ODBC v5.2.6 (32-bit) to create the System-DSNs for both databases.

Expected result

See above.

Actual result

See above.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

-

Configuration information

[BTW: Why is there no possibility to create an external table (for example coming from an ODBC-datasource) in your FileMaker-project, without creating a table-reference in your FileMaker-reference-graph first?]

Workaround

Change the old database's name, re-open your FileMaker-project, click the now shown Re-Link button after DSN had been changed, change the old database's name back.

(To change the base-folder of an externally stored container, when the old base-folder is not empty: Rename the old base-folder, change the base-folder-setting to the new one, rename the old base-folder.)

• 1. Re: Missing Re-Link possibility when changing DSN-reference of external ODBC-datasource
          TSGal

TP:

Thank you for your post.

I currently don't have access to any ESS files, so I cannot test this.  However, I have sent all of your information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Missing Re-Link possibility when changing DSN-reference of external ODBC-datasource
            TSGal

TP:

The tester is having difficulty understanding and reproducing your steps.  Do the old database and new database have the same table name?  Usually, if you change the existing DSN for  ESS to a different DSN, <Table Missing> will appear and Re-Link will be displayed.  Can you supply the exact steps?  The MySQL table definitions would be nice to have.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Missing Re-Link possibility when changing DSN-reference of external ODBC-datasource
              TP_1

Thanks for testing so far.

For testing purposes it is probably a good idea if both databases have exactly one table and this table should be of the same structure and name in both databases. Creating one table of your choice in the old database and cloning the table or the whole old database to the new one is probably the easiest way. Different content in the tables is a good way of identifying which table/database FileMaker accesses.

A strage effect is that you even can close your FileMaker project, re-reference the system-DSN in use (the one FileMaker last linked to!) to another external database of totally different structure and name, re-open your FileMaker project and still FileMaker accesses the old database.

It seams as if FileMaker stores a reference to the external database during "creation" of the external table in FileMaker. Sure, it checks if the DSN the table was created from still exists when re-opening your project, but FileMaker doesn't seem to be interested in what database this DSN refers to now, once the external table is "created" in FileMaker.

• 4. Re: Missing Re-Link possibility when changing DSN-reference of external ODBC-datasource
                TSGal

TP:

Thank you.  I have sent your entire post to the tester.  I'll let you know if the tester has any further questions.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Missing Re-Link possibility when changing DSN-reference of external ODBC-datasource
                  TSGal

TP:

Our tester still could not replicate the issue, so as he read through your original posting, he noticed that you were using the MySQL Connector/ODBC driver, which is not supported.  We support only the Actual Open Source Databases driver.  Can you switch to this driver and let us know if this works?

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Missing Re-Link possibility when changing DSN-reference of external ODBC-datasource
                    TP_1

Hello TSGal,

http://www.filemaker.com/support/technologies/sql.html reads as follows:

Certified driver on Mac is Actual Technologies, Open Source Databases version 3.2.0.

Certified driver for FileMaker Pro 13 on Windows is MySQL Connector/ODBC version 5.2.4 (32-bit).

Since I am using Windows, I use the the MySQL Connector ODBC driver.

Version 5.2.6 (32-bit) it is! I also tried the new verion 5.3.2 (32-bit). Same result.

• 7. Re: Missing Re-Link possibility when changing DSN-reference of external ODBC-datasource
                      TSGal

TP:

Sorry for the late reply.

I have asked for clarification from the Developer.  I will post again when receive feedback.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Missing Re-Link possibility when changing DSN-reference of external ODBC-datasource
                        TSGal

TP:

The tester is still unable to replicate the issue after reading all of your posts.  The tester has asked for a sample file.  If not available (because of the linking), the exact steps you take may provide the key.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the information.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Missing Re-Link possibility when changing DSN-reference of external ODBC-datasource
                          TP_1

I just send the requested E-Mail. Here is it's contents, again:

Hello!

These are my steps:

1. Install Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 (x64).

1b. Alternatively, install another version of Windows.

2. Install MySQL Community Edition v5.6.17 [http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/installer/5.6.html] as Administrator.

2b. Alternatively, install MariaDB v10.0.10 (x86 or x64).

3. Create two new databases by "CREATE DATABASE `db1`;" and "CREATE DATABASE `db2`;".

4. Create a new table per database by "CREATE TABLE `db1`.`tbl` (`Name` VARCHAR(255));" and "CREATE TABLE `db2`.`tbl` (`Name` VARCHAR(255));".

5. Populate tables by "INSERT INTO `db1`.`tbl` VALUES ('This is DB1');" and "INSERT INTO `db2`.`tbl` VALUES ('This is DB2');".

6. Install MySQL Connector/ODBC v5.2.6 or v5.3.2 (32-bit) [http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/] as Administrator.

7. Open C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe as Administrator and create two new 32-bit System-DSNs by clicking "Add" and choosing "MySQL ODBC {5.2|5.3} {ANSI|Unicode} Driver". Name them DSN1 and DSN2. Enter your MySQL root username and password and choose the database db1 for DSN1 and db2 for DSN2.

8. Install FileMaker Pro 13 as Administrator.

8b. Alternatively, install another version of FileMaker.

9. Open FileMaker and create a new FileMaker-database called FMDB.

10. Add a new external ODBC datasource to FMDB and call it ESS. Let it reference DSN1.

11. In FMDB, create a new reference to ESS in your references-graph. Choose ESS/tbl and choose `Name` as primary index. This will automatically create a table called `tbl` and a layout called `tbl`.

12. Visit the layout "tbl" and check, that it shows one record with "This is DB1" as `Name`.

13. Modify ESS so that it refers to DSN2. If you like, re-open FMDB.

14. Visit the layout `tbl` again and check, that it still shows "This is DB1". No "<Missing Table>", no error or warning, no re-link possibility!

If you have any questions, please ask!

Regards,

TP

• 11. Re: Missing Re-Link possibility when changing DSN-reference of external ODBC-datasource
                            TSGal

TP:

Thanks for the email and the above post with the specific steps.  I have sent these to the tester for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Missing Re-Link possibility when changing DSN-reference of external ODBC-datasource
                              TSGal

TP:

Sorry for the late reply.

Testing and Development have been able to reproduce the issue.  This is a Windows only issue.  In essence, the ODBC Datasource uses data from the old DSN when it is modified to use a new DSN from the same host (but different schema/table).  There is no additional information at this time.

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.