Missing Record

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v5

Operating system version

Mac 10.9.1

Description of the issue

I have recently moved over from Bento using the migration tool and I am now running Filemaker Pro 12 advanced client edition on the sever and sharing the database using Filemaker network to the individual Macs.

I seem to be having an issue where records that have been created within Filemaker have disappeared from the database. The record number is missing from the dataset altogether.

I have checked consistency and run a recover on the file and neither have shown any issues.

Do you know why this may be occurring?

Steps to reproduce the problem

Cannot reproduce it at will

• 1. Re: Missing Record
          philmodjunk

Best guess is that some action deleted the record. Do you have older back up copies of the file that still have the missing records? If so, you can import them back into your file to restore them.

The most common, but not the only cause of missing records is when you have a relationship defined with the "Delete related records in this table.." option selected. With that option selected, deleting records in one table can also delete those records in another table that are linked to it in a relationship.  If this is a possible explanation, it can be tedious to track it down as you can have any number of table occurrences linking the same two tables and a delete option specified in any one of them might be the culprit.

• 2. Re: Missing Record
            TSGal

Bruce Read:

Thank you for your post.

I don't have enough information to help you.  When you create these records, make sure you are not in Find mode, as this would add Find requests, the record number would be missing as you enter.  When you go to Browse Mode, those records will not be present.

Can you ensure that other users are not deleting the records?

Are users importing data from another file into the database file?  Make sure they select the option to update the Auto-enter values.

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down the possible causes.

TSGal
                 FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Missing Record
              BruceRead

The records are not created whilst in Find - I know the record number of one of the missing ones, so from what you've said, this would prove this to be the case. There was only one other user accessing the database at the time and there's no reason why they would delete the record. There would be no other importing happening at the same time. 

Do you know at what point the record is committed to the database as we are currently suffering from intermittent dropped network connections and I am wondering if for example, the new record is created and left live on the screen with no further navigation to any other records, then the network loses connection, would this cause the record to not be stored?

In response to Phil - we are trying to sort the backup as this is one of the network issues we're currently facing as well. The database is not that complex to have several tables - it was an import from Bento and is really more of a glorified spreadsheet.

Thanks,

George

• 4. Re: Missing Record
                philmodjunk

Yes, a dropped connection could result in a missing record and a gap in your serial number sequence. Serial numbers by default are assigned "on creation", but the record will not be committed (saved) until: a) the user clicks the layout background b) the user changes records or layouts c) the user closes the file or a script with the commit records step commits the records.

So it seems likely that your dropped connection issue is the culprit here. If so, Your backups won't be any help as the missing data was never there to be backed up. frown