Summary

Modal Windows Don't Cover Floating Windows

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mac OS X, Windows 7

Description of the issue

When using scripts to spawn new windows, a modal window will be created underneath a floating one even though the floating window is disabled while the modal one is on screen.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a script that opens 2 new windows. Make 1 modal and 1 floating (order doesn't matter)

Expected result

Modal windows should be on top of floating ones

Actual result

The inverse is true

Workaround

Create hidden tab panels to create a modal dialog effect, but it's a huge pain

• 1. Re: Modal Windows Don't Cover Floating Windows

Jared Sorge:

Thank you for the post.

FileMaker Pro 12's Help on the New Window script stepDescription section states: 

"A new window has the same layout, same table, same found set, and same current record as the original window. You can specify the new window is a document window, a floating document window, or a dialog window.

Document windows allow users to minimize, maximize, restore, or close them or start a new FileMaker Pro process as they work in FileMaker Pro.

Floating document windows remain on top of other FileMaker Pro windows even when they become inactive.

Dialog windows are modal. They appear in the foreground and can’t be minimized. Users cannot activate an open document window before closing an open dialog window."

For additional information on the New Window script step:

http://www.filemaker.com/12help/html/scripts_ref2.37.2.html

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Modal Windows Don't Cover Floating Windows
            JaredSorge

This behavior is confusion, though. Modal windows take precedence over all the other window types. So in this scenario that I outlined, you could have a floating window covering a modal window and won't be able to do anything unless you move the floating window out of the way.

I believe this should be changed to have floating windows on top of document windows, and modal windows on top of everything else. There isn't any other case that I can think of where a modal window can be covered up (see the iTunes preferences on OS X).

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Modal Windows Don't Cover Floating Windows

Jared Sorge:

Thank you for the reply.

I agree this behavior is in conflict with the way other programs work. Currently, this is how the feature is documented to work; however, I forwarded this report as a requested design change to Development and Testing for review. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Modal Windows Don't Cover Floating Windows
                JaredSorge

Thank you!

• 5. Re: Modal Windows Don't Cover Floating Windows

Jared Sorge:

Thank you.

Testing also sees a conflict in the current behavior, so a report was forwarded to Product Development for review

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.