Modal windows rearranging when switching apps

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FMPA 11.0v4

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

Sometimes when I am in the middle of editing a complex calculation in the Manage Database windows I have to leave FileMaker to switch to another application (i.e.: checking mail). Frequently those apps are in different spaces and/or screens. When I com back to FileMaker via the app switcher (cmd-tab) the widow of focus (the calc dialog) is the back-most window and I have to move the other windows around to try and find it.

If it is a modal window with focus, FMP should keep it in the front no matter how much I switch around to other apps. It confused me several times and even initially thought I had to restart FileMaker to solve it. Now I know, but it's still annoying, counter-intuitive, and downright a pain to have to dig around on two screens filled with windows to find the one that will let me get back to work.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Open a calculation dialog for a field in the schema editing area. Switch to another app in another screen or Space, using Command-Tab. Work in the other applications/Screens/Spaces. Command-Tab back to FileMaker. The field calculation window is now buried a couple windows deep behind the other FileMaker windows.

Expected result

I would expect that the modal window that won't let me do anything else until it is completed and closed would stay in the front.

Actual result

Hidden modal windows. Clicking in any other open FileMaker window or dialog gives me a beep.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None.

Configuration information

Using various OS X Spaces to separate application work areas. Using a MBP 15 with an external 20-inch display to extend the desktop.

Workaround

Move the windows around until I find the one (that I may have forgotten about) that I need to complete before proceeding.

• 1. Re: Modal windows rearranging when switching apps
          user15307

Jonathan Fletcher,

Thank you for your post, and my apologies for the late reply.

I encourage you to enter this information into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries into this web form are monitored and read by Development and Product Management where they are then discussed and considered for future revisions.  I could copy your post and paste it into the web form, but there are additional questions asked that only you can answer.

TSTuatara

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Modal windows rearranging when switching apps
            jfletch

Okay, let me get this straight: an item entered into a forum called Issues that is clearly a bug is NOT discussed, but the same entry pasted into a forum called "Feature Request" will ensure that it gets the proper attention?

As a person that sings the praises of your software everywhere I turn, and spends an AVERAGE 10 hours a a day hands-on developing with it, I find your (the collective you, as a company) disrespect for me and my commitment to FileMaker appalling!

You should pay more attention to version 11. It may be pretty good, but it has to be, because it is going to be around a long, long time. Your transition to "the-version-that-shall-not-be-named" will be a hard-fought one, due to the mass of the FP7 file format. Disnohoring your 11 products and users will only bring scorn down upon The Wedge.

Okay, spleen fully vented. Have a nice day.

• 3. Re: Modal windows rearranging when switching apps
              TSGal

Jonathan Fletcher:

Our apologies.  You are correct.  Our Development and Testing departments are aware of this issue, and this has also been reported by another forum user at:

PROBLEM WITH MISSION CONTROL AND FMP11

This has been reported to Apple, since it also occurs with other applications (including Apple iTunes).  No other information is available at this time.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Modal windows rearranging when switching apps
                jfletch

interesting that the problem has persisted through 10.11.4 and 15.0v1. I guess no one cares. Still makes it hard to find the dialog that you have to dismiss first when it is three windows behind another one. Sad.

• 5. Re: Modal windows rearranging when switching apps
                  TSGal

jfletch:

The issue has occurred since Mac OS X 10.6.8, and still occurs with other applications.  When there is an update, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.