7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 12:42 PM by TSGal

Modify Table View

LaRetta_1

Summary

Modify Table View

Description of the issue

Major problem if any fields have been hidden (in table view by a User) and the records are then Save As Excel.  http://fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/209865/post/334767/fromactivity/posts/#334767 All labels still export but the data shifts.  If this is financial data and it shifts to the left, it could be devastating when the column/numbers don't match.  Management may not notice the incorrect shift between label and number and will mis-read information and possibly make decisions on garbage.

• 1. Re: Modify Table View
          philmodjunk
             I can confirm this bug in Windows Xp, SP3. This one's very, very dangerous.
          • 2. Re: Modify Table View
            mrvodka
               Indeed VERY dangerous.
            • 3. Re: Modify Table View
              LaRetta_1
                 I have a great idea!  Let's get a flag field which flags bugs which cause data loss and are very dangerous.  Then let's track how long it takes FileMaker to fix them.  If *my* bugs in *my* software designs were on display for all customers to view, you can bet I'd get them fixed right away even if it meant having some engineers stay overtime.  :smileytongue:
              • 4. Re: Modify Table View
                mrvodka
                   Well the issues would have to make it past the product managers first... I dont even think the engineers see half the issues. IMHO of course.
                • 5. Re: Modify Table View
                  TSGal

LaRetta:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, this is easily reproducible, and I see that this was already reported to Development and Testing.

mr_vodka - Your assumption is incorrect. The issues do not have to "make it past the product managers first".  All problems (including the ones I report on the forum) are entered into a database file that is hosted by Development and Testing, and engineers and testers work off of this file.  However, the product managers do have access to this file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: Modify Table View
                    mrvodka
                       TSGal, Thank you for the clarification. It was my opinion as I stated earlier. Who then chooses which bugs get fixed in which update?
                    • 7. Re: Modify Table View
                      TSGal

mr_vodka:

There are several factors into how issues get fixed, and I won't go into all of them.  In general, Testing categorizes the problem (data loss, crash, unexpected result, etc.) and assigns the initial prioritization.  Development follows the prioritization (starting with highest and moving to lowest), and may change the prioritization due to time constraints.  The Product Manager, due to customer input, can also change the priority of problem so that it gets addressed.  :-)

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.