5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2009 5:41 PM by LaRetta_1

Modify Table View breaks (won't allow deselection and re-add of unlocked fields).

LaRetta_1

Summary

Modify Table View breaks (won't allow deselection and re-add of unlocked fields).

Description of the issue

If you create a table with a lot of fields (for test I copy/pasted 800 fields) in a brand new file, FM will produce the original form view.  You can switch to table view and FM will automatically only display the max number of fields which will fit within the layout size limit (approx 1750 px).  FM will also display those same fields in the Modify table view.  If you uncheck many of those fields (go ahead and uncheck all but 10) and then select the + button (and add new field) then say OK, those new fields will NOT be added to the layout. For it to break you must start with max + number of fields then uncheck many of them and attempt to re-add different fields.

• 1. Re: Modify Table View breaks (won't allow deselection and re-add of unlocked fields).
          LaRetta_1
             Ooops, I forgot that I had already just upgraded to 10.0v3.  I have not tested in 10.0v2.
          • 2. Re: Modify Table View breaks (won't allow deselection and re-add of unlocked fields).
            TSGal

LaRetta:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, if there is no room to add a field in Table view, the field will not be added.  However, if you reduce the column size of several of the fields, additional fields will begin appearing at the end of the table until the maximum width has been reached or the number of non-showing fields have been reached.

As a workaround, you can create a new layout with only the fields you want to display in Table view.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: Modify Table View breaks (won't allow deselection and re-add of unlocked fields).
              LaRetta_1
                 That does not work here, TSGal.  I understand the standard behavior.  I ask that you create a table with 500+ fields and do as suggested (or however many fields you are convinced will not all fit in table view .. even if you then delete many of those fields in layout mode, you can NOT add more fields using Modify Table.
              • 4. Re: Modify Table View breaks (won't allow deselection and re-add of unlocked fields).
                TSGal

LaRetta:

This is what I have done.

I created a table with 1000 fields.  In the standard layout, it displayed many of the fields (not all).  I switched to Table View and only the first 66 fields appeared.  As I sized some of the fields/columns smaller, more fields started appearing at the end of the table.  Naturally, if I tried to add a field, FileMaker appears like it is doing something, but nothing happens.

I then removed a few hundred fields from the layout.  Still, the maximum width was reached in Table View, so I sized more records until the maximum was not reached.  I then clicked Modify, clicked the Add icon, and selected the first field.  The first field now shows up in the last column.  I added several more fields until the maximum was reached.  The problem I reported is that there is no error message displayed when you try to add a field.

If an error message displayed stating that the maximum width of a layout was reached, that would help users.

I believe the main problem is in the Modify Table dialog if you suppress the field from displaying on the layout. This does not remove it from the layout, and keeps the layout width intact.  You are then unable to add a field, even if you suppress all other fields from Table view.

Both of these problems are being reported.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Modify Table View breaks (won't allow deselection and re-add of unlocked fields).
                  LaRetta_1

TSGal wrote:

I believe the main problem is in the Modify Table dialog if you suppress the field from displaying on the layout. This does not remove it from the layout, and keeps the layout width intact.  

Exactly and as I said on the other thread, "It appears to lock the size according to those fields locked (even if unchecked). "  And if that isn't a bug, it is certainly unexpected behavior (as several Developers have responded as I have about it).   Thank you for reporting it (and I hope it is documented in knowledge base as well as FM Help) because that might prevent many others from wasting countless hours trying to solve something which (currently) can't be solved.