Summary

More than 255 Layouts in Windows

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

When there are more than 255 layouts in a file, any choices over 256 (either in script or in the layout menu) go to the last layout. This is only when using Windows. It does not occur on Mac OS.

This has been a documented problem for at least 5 years, through multiple versions of Filemaker. We have recently encountered it in our large scale art cataloguing system.

As our system continues to grow, this will become an increasingly serious problem.

From what I gather, this is a programming issue with Windows OS. But I find it hard to believe there is no solution. When will it be addressed and corrected?

Steps to reproduce the problem

Choose any layout past the 255th and it will consistently go to the last layout.

Expected result

It should go to the chosen layout.

Actual result

It goes to the last layout.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None

Configuration information

Filemaker 12 Filemaker Server 12 WIndows 7

Workaround

None

• 1. Re: More than 255 Layouts in Windows
          TSGal

dan@danpeck.com:

Thank you for your post.

This is a known issue with Windows operating system and the 255 limited number of submenu items.  Under Mac OS X, the number is 32,767.  That is, if you were running on a Mac and you had more than 32,767 layouts, selecting a number larger than 32,767 would always go to the last layout.

I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: More than 255 Layouts in Windows
            dan@danpeck.com

Thanks for the reply. I have to emphasize that this is a VERY serious issue. We have already hit the attendant roadblock in several large scale systems.

Since the issue has existed for several years and through several versions of Filemaker, I really need to know with some certainty when (and if) it will be rectified.

Telling a client that they must limit their usage to 255 layouts is not an option. Nor is telling them to switch to Macs.

• 3. Re: More than 255 Layouts in Windows
              TSGal

dan@danpeck.com:

Sorry for any confusion.  I was not recommending limiting to 255 layouts nor suggesting switching to Macs.  I was only stating that FileMaker is using the built-in OS calls for maximum items.  For Windows, that number is 255.  For Mac, it is 32,767.  It is unknown if Windows is going to increase this limitation.

FileMaker, Inc. does not discuss nor speculate about version products.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: More than 255 Layouts in Windows
                dan@danpeck.com

OK. I am not trying to pick a fight here, but the technical specs for Filemaker version 11-13 all list Maximum Number of Layouts as "Limited by disk space or maximum file size." No mention of different limits for Windows. Again, I have to point out that this is not a minor bug.

I am assuming this 255 limit is per file, not per table. 

Are there any known work-arounds? Presumably one could create related files to display data, but this is time consuming and fraught with other perils.

I understand that this is a limitation of Windows OS, but if that's so, are there are any other limitations inherent to that OS? Number of scripts, for example? 

Thanks.

• 5. Re: More than 255 Layouts in Windows
                  dan@danpeck.com

One further inquiry. Does the term "sub-menu items" mean that the 255 limitation is per sub-menu (folder) or total for the file?

If I put layouts into folders, each folder can contain 255 layouts?

• 6. Re: More than 255 Layouts in Windows
                    TSGal

dan@danpeck.com

The technical specifications are correct.  You can have an unlimited number of layouts per file.

This issue occurs when pulling down the View menu and selecting "Go to Layout", and specify a layout that appears after 255th position, as it will take you to the last layout.

If you use a script step, it will take you to the correct layout.  Either by name, or by number.  For instance, if you create a button that executes the script step "Go to Layout", and you specify "Layout Number by calculation...", and enter the value 260, when you click the button, you will be taken to the 260th layout (assuming you have more than 260 layouts).

TSGal
                    FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: More than 255 Layouts in Windows
                      dan@danpeck.com

Excellent. (Best news I've had all day.) Now that I know what I'm dealing with, I can already see work-arounds.

Thanks for the prompt response.

As a long-time Apple user, it's always nice to know that it was Microsoft's fault. ;-)

• 8. Re: More than 255 Layouts in Windows
                        TSGal

dan@danpeck.com

Just for clarification, you can put as many layouts as you want into folders.  It is the general number of layouts that has the issue.  That is, if you put 200 layouts in the first folder, and 200 layouts in the second folder, any reference to the 56th or greater layout in the second folder will put you at the last layout in the second folder.

TSGal
                        FileMaker, Inc.