Moving fields in form edit mode does not work

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v4 trial

Operating system version

Mac OS 10.7

Description of the issue

When I am editing my form I cannot use my mouse to move fields around. I drag the field to where I want it to be, but when I release the mouse the field jumps back to where it was.

Steps to reproduce the problem

So i click and hold the mouse button on the field. When I move the mouse 1 pixel in any direction the field outline turns blue (probably to indicate a proper position). Also there is a horizontal line which seems to be attached to the bottom of the text in the field.
      If I move the mouse a couple of more pixels away towards the destination the field becomes ghost gray and the horizontal line disappears. I release the mouse and the ghost image of the field slides back to where the field is.

Expected result

The field should move to the new position

Actual result

Just pops back to where it was

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message(s) occur.

Configuration information

I am using the trial version. Installed it an hour ago.
      The issue occurs on my macbook air and my imac.

Workaround

Selecting the field and using the keyboard arrows works. This workaround is way too tedious.

• 1. Re: Moving fields in form edit mode does not work
          eweihe

I just tried filemaker on my virtual installation of 10.7 and it works!

this must mean that something is wrong with my system. a setting somewhere, perhaps?

the virtual system is, as far as I can tell, a clean installation with none of my usual tweaks and no extra applications installed (other than filemaker).

the tweaks I usually apply are custom display of time and date. "." as thousand seperator and "," as decimal seperator. All done through system preferences though.. can't imagine these tweaks have anything to do with the issue. maybe there is an issue with filemaker and some installed application?

any ideas?

• 2. Re: Moving fields in form edit mode does not work
            TSGal

eweihe:

Thank you for your post.

Another forum customer (I cannot find the link) reported something similar and sent in a movie file (which I also cannot find) that demonstrates the problem.  With the database file here, I was unable to reproduce.  No resolution was found.

Try creating a new database file, go into Layout Mode, and see if you are able to move objects/fields around via the mouse.  If this also fails, then create a new user account, logout of the current user account, login to the new user account, launch FileMaker Pro, create a new database file, switch to Layout Mode and try moving objects/fields using the mouse.

Please keep me posted with any progress.

I know the post is almost a month old, so if you have found the cause, please post here so others who encounter the same symptoms can benefit.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Moving fields in form edit mode does not work
              eweihe

hi again

i have not found a good solution to the problem. the only solution seems to be a clean install of the OS. (based on everything working in the virtual machine)

just to be clear: i have not actually tried a clean install nor am i going to.

i tried creating a new user an creating a new database.. same problem.

i suppose i could email you the database but since the starter solutions are stored in the filemaker folder you already have them. so that seems rather pointless.

anyways.. i'm not sure what else to do. if you have any ideas i'd be happy to try them out. but i would need some kind of extended trial because mine expires in two days.

sincerely

eweihe

• 4. Re: Moving fields in form edit mode does not work
                philmodjunk

The fact that the virtual system worked suggests a possible conflict with another application. In which case, you might be able to identify and remove the conflicting app or at least tell FileMaker so that they can investigate. You might try adding the apps installed on your current machine to the virtual machine one by one until it "breaks".

Or perhaps trashing FileMaker preferences (an old cheap Mac fix) would help.

• 5. Re: Moving fields in form edit mode does not work
                  TSGal

eweihe:

I don't like telling users to reinstall the OS, and I wouldn't expect you to!

Thanks to "TSTuatara", I did find another similar thread at:

Unable to drag fields in Layout

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Moving fields in form edit mode does not work
                    eweihe

@PhilModJunk

thank you for reminding me about something i forgot to mention.

As i said earlier i didn't do much testing on the virtual machine. however i did clone my laptop to a usb drive and uninstalled every application one by one.

as i am writing this i'm feeling pretty stupid because i could have installed a clean system on the usb drive.

just tried deleating the preferences files. same same

@TSGal

nice to know it's not just me.

let me know if i can test/try something

• 7. Re: Moving fields in form edit mode does not work
                      TSGal

All:

We have been able to replicate the problem on Mac OS X 10.7.3 by holding down the control key while moving the field.  The field will snap back to its original position.  Although you may not be holding down the control-key, check to see if you have any other software that is emulating the control key being depressed.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Moving fields in form edit mode does not work
                        PaulCarbone

@TSGal -

I'm having the same issue on 10.7.3.  I've verified that no other application is holding the control key down using the apple keyboard viewer, which I have confirmed does show when other apps are sending keyboard events (I'm using controllerMate for another application, which is currently disabled). 

Just a few notes -

I do see the corner handles and can resize objects; in fact I if I was really desperate, I could even move an object by scaling from one corner, then scaling again from the opposite corner.

holding down option does not allow me to duplicate an object.

thanks!

• 9. Re: Moving fields in form edit mode does not work
                          TSGal

Paul Carbone:

Thank you for your post.

Which version of FileMaker Pro are you using?

If you select the object and press command-D, does it duplicate?

TSGal
                          FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Moving fields in form edit mode does not work
                            PaulCarbone

@TSGal -

V11.0v4.

Selecting and pressing command-D does indeed duplicate

thanks!

• 11. Re: Moving fields in form edit mode does not work
                              TSGal

Paul Carbone:

My iMac is running FileMaker Pro 11.0v4 under Mac OS X 10.7.3, so I have a similar setup.  The only way I can get the field to snap back to the previous position if I hold down the control key.  I can also use the arrow keys to move the object (slowly).

Do you have access to another machine running FileMaker Pro?  If so, does that machine also exhibit the same problem?

Do you have any plug-ins installed?  If so, which ones?

TSGal
                              FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Moving fields in form edit mode does not work
                                PaulCarbone

Thanks for the quick responses, I was actually about to post a followup: Just FYI, dragging and option-dragging works in the relationship window..

I have a 4 year old macbook pro running 10.5.8 with 11.0v(?), which has much of the same software & daemons installed and does not exhibit this behavior.  I also tried running as a new user on the current machine with no luck.   I'll see if I can find another 10.7.3 machine to try this out on...

No other plug-ins installed.

Right, saw some other posts about some other application maybe holding down the control key, but if that was the case, then every left-click would be interpreted as a right-click, and I would't get very far with anything ;)  .  Just to confirm, you see the snap-back behavior when you left-click, then hold down control and try to drag.  If I hold down control and then click, I get the context menu (right click).

Also, just fyi, I've tried this with both a built-in trackpad and an external track-ball.  I've also tried disabling gestures, and universal access, mission control keyboard shortcuts... Other then that, my keyboard & mouse settings are out-of-the-box defaults.

thanks,

• 13. Re: Moving fields in form edit mode does not work
                                  TSGal

Paul Carbone:

Thanks for the additional information.

The users who have reported this issue are running Mac OS X 10.7.x (Lion), so this may be a contributing factor.  However, no one here (Technical Support nor Testing) is able to replicate the problem under Lion except by holding down the control key after starting to move the object (sorry I didn't make that clear earlier).

You mentioned you "tried this with both a built-in trackpad and an external track-ball".  Have you tried with a regular Apple mouse?

Continue to keep me updated, especially if you are able to try it on another Mac OS X Lion machine.

TSGal
                                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Moving fields in form edit mode does not work
                                    philmodjunk

"built in track pad"

By any chance is this problem common to lap tops? They sometimes have design differences in their keyboards--we've previously seen windows lap tops that used the keypad's enter key in place of the "qwerty" return key--which impacted interface behavior and when entering text into a text field.

Any chance that's a common factor here?

1 2 Previous Next