10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2015 3:42 PM by dbail22@comcast.net

Moving remote container files when Filemaker file is replaced.

dbail22@comcast.net

Summary

Moving remote container files when Filemaker file is replaced.

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

OSX 10.10.3

Description of the issue

Can anyone tell me what the correct procedure is for replacing a Filemaker file on a server that contains remote stored containers.  We have over 80,000 files stored as remote containers.  When I have problems to correct on a file like this I make changes and test the file locally.  Since there does not appear to be any way to replace an existing file the hosted file must be deleted before a new one can be uploaded.  The process of deleting the file moves all of the remote containers to a newly created folder.  Uploading the newly modified file does not repair this problem.  Since we pay a hosting company to host our files I have no access to the directories where these files are stored.

Is there a way to replace a file without loosing all the connections of the remote containers.  Working on a live file to make changes is a really bad idea.  Moving the files without telling the user is a really bad idea.  What is the solution??

Steps to reproduce the problem

Delete a file from the console that has remote containers. Upload a replacement file with exactly the same name and properties (a downloaded copy).  The links to the containers are broken since the server moved the files.

Expected result

The files are not moved. Allow the user to move the files if needed.

Actual result

No access to the remote containers.  No access to the directories since they are hosted by a remote company.

Workaround

Please, Please let there be a work around.