AnsweredAssumed Answered

Multiple monitors confuse Get ( WindowDesktopWidth )

Question asked by Ward on Aug 11, 2011
Latest reply on May 9, 2017 by TSGal

Summary

Multiple monitors confuse Get ( WindowDesktopWidth ) & Get ( WindowDesktopHeight )

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v4 Advanced

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

The Help for the functions Get ( WindowDesktopWidth ) and Get ( WindowDesktopHeight ) says ...

"In the Mac OS, the desktop space is the area on the main monitor excluding the menu bars. The main monitor is where the menu bar is located."

I created a simple "Show Screen Geometry" script that displays various screen and window values to aid in fine-tuning cross-platform layouts.  Everything is fine on Mac OS X on my main/center monitor.

But the Get ( WindowDesktopWidth ) and Get ( WindowDesktopHeight ) functions return bad values when the current window is positioned on either my left or right monitor.  According to the Help, the "desktop space" should be the same regardless of the location of the current window.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1.  Run FileMaker 11.0v4 on a Mac with multiple monitors.  In my case, it's three monitors.  The attached screenshot shows the System Prefs > Displays > Arrangement of my monitors:

Left monitor:  1280 x 960
Main/Center monitor:  1920 x 1080
Right monitor: 1600 x 1200

Note: the top of left and right monitors are arranged slightly below the main monitor so that it's easy to position my mouse in the upper corners of the main monitor (for MaxMenus & PopChar activation).

2.  Moving the current FileMaker window from monitor to monitor, use Tools > Data Viewer to show the values returned by the Get ( WindowDesktopWidth ) and Get ( WindowDesktopHeight ) functions.

Expected result

According to the Help, the "desktop space" should be the same regardless of the location of the current window.

Actual result

Main/Center monitor:  1920 x 1058 (CORRECT - full main screen minus the menu bar)

Left monitor:  1280 x 1080 (ERRONEOUS - left screen width x main screen height)

Right monitor:  1600 x 1200 (CORRECT - right screen width x height)
[[incorrectly flagged as erroneous in the original report]]

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

n/a

Configuration information

see above

Workaround

I'm pondering some fancy calculations that use the current window position (e.g., negative "left" position = left monitor) to determine whether the current window is on the main monitor.

FileMakerScreens.png

Outcomes