5 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2017 6:18 AM by TSGal

Multiple monitors confuse Get ( WindowDesktopWidth )

Ward

Summary

Multiple monitors confuse Get ( WindowDesktopWidth ) & Get ( WindowDesktopHeight )

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v4 Advanced

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Description of the issue

The Help for the functions Get ( WindowDesktopWidth ) and Get ( WindowDesktopHeight ) says ...

"In the Mac OS, the desktop space is the area on the main monitor excluding the menu bars. The main monitor is where the menu bar is located."

I created a simple "Show Screen Geometry" script that displays various screen and window values to aid in fine-tuning cross-platform layouts.  Everything is fine on Mac OS X on my main/center monitor.

But the Get ( WindowDesktopWidth ) and Get ( WindowDesktopHeight ) functions return bad values when the current window is positioned on either my left or right monitor.  According to the Help, the "desktop space" should be the same regardless of the location of the current window.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1.  Run FileMaker 11.0v4 on a Mac with multiple monitors.  In my case, it's three monitors.  The attached screenshot shows the System Prefs > Displays > Arrangement of my monitors:

Left monitor:  1280 x 960
      Main/Center monitor:  1920 x 1080
      Right monitor: 1600 x 1200

Note: the top of left and right monitors are arranged slightly below the main monitor so that it's easy to position my mouse in the upper corners of the main monitor (for MaxMenus & PopChar activation).

2.  Moving the current FileMaker window from monitor to monitor, use Tools > Data Viewer to show the values returned by the Get ( WindowDesktopWidth ) and Get ( WindowDesktopHeight ) functions.

Expected result

According to the Help, the "desktop space" should be the same regardless of the location of the current window.

Actual result

Main/Center monitor:  1920 x 1058 (CORRECT - full main screen minus the menu bar)

Left monitor:  1280 x 1080 (ERRONEOUS - left screen width x main screen height)

Right monitor:  1600 x 1200 (CORRECT - right screen width x height)
      [[incorrectly flagged as erroneous in the original report]]

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

n/a

Configuration information

see above

Workaround

I'm pondering some fancy calculations that use the current window position (e.g., negative "left" position = left monitor) to determine whether the current window is on the main monitor.

FileMakerScreens.png

• 1. Re: Multiple monitors confuse Get ( WindowDesktopWidth ) & Get ( WindowDesktopHeight )
          TSGal

Ward:

Thank you for your post.

There seems to be two issues here, plus I need additional clarification from you.

1. It appears the documentation is wrong.  That is, it looks like Get ( WindowDesktopWidth ) and Get ( WindowDesktopHeight ) returns the value for the current monitor; not the main monitor.  Except...

2. The left monitor has the correct width value, but does match the height of the main monitor.  Is the current window completely inside the left monitor?  I just want to make sure the right edge of the current window doesn't fall into the first monitor, as this might be where it is grabbing the value.  I'm sure this isn't the issue, but I need to ask to have 100% certainty.

I'm not sure what is incorrect about the right monitor values.  The two values appear to match the correct settings for the third monitor.  Is it possible you mistyped or meant something else?

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Multiple monitors confuse Get ( WindowDesktopWidth ) & Get ( WindowDesktopHeight )
            Ward

>> 2. The left monitor has the correct width value, but does match the height of the main monitor.  Is the current window completely inside the left monitor?  I just want to make sure the right edge of the current window doesn't fall into the first monitor, as this might be where it is grabbing the value.  I'm sure this isn't the issue, but I need to ask to have 100% certainty. <<

On the left monitor, the FileMaker window is in the center of the screen, nowhere near the edge.

>> I'm not sure what is incorrect about the right monitor values.  The two values appear to match the correct settings for the third monitor.  Is it possible you mistyped or meant something else?<<

My mistake:  in my description, I flagged the right monitor as erroneous.  The right monitor info is CORRECT.  I'll fix my cut-n-paste typo in the original report.

• 3. Re: Multiple monitors confuse Get ( WindowDesktopWidth ) & Get ( WindowDesktopHeight )
              TSGal

Ward:

Thanks for the clarification for both of my questons.  I saw the position values for the left window, and it appeared the window was near the center of the screen, but I needed to be certain.

I do not have access to a second monitor to test this, but have sent your post to our Development and Testing departments for further review.  From what I see, it appears the monitor placed to the left of the main monitor (possibly the negative window value is a contributing factor) has the incorrect height.

If possible, I would like for you to test this theory by first placing the left monitor a bit higher than the main monitor and test the Desktop Size. (I know you set it lower so you could place the cursor in the upper left corner on the main computer).  Also, physically switch the left monitor with the right monitor, and see if the Desktop Size turns to 1600 x 1080 (the height of the main monitor).  This would help our Testers and Developers understand what is occurring internally.

Regardless, I will update you as information from Testing and Development becomes available to me.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Multiple monitors confuse Get ( WindowDesktopWidth ) & Get ( WindowDesktopHeight )
                TSGal

Ward:

I apologize for the late reply.

Our Testing department has confirmed the issue, and the information has been sent to Development for further review.  No additional information is available.

TSGal
                FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Multiple monitors confuse Get ( WindowDesktopWidth )
                  TSGal

Ward:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 16.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.