7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2010 5:11 PM by donk

Multiple users on one computer

mfero

Summary

Multiple users on one computer

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involvedFilemaker Pro v.10 / Filemaker Server v.10 Operating System(s) involvedMac OS X v.10.4.11   Detailed description of the issueFMPro v.10 produces blank messages instead of normal error dialogue boxes if two people are using the software on the same computer.   Exact steps to reproduce the issueFilemaker Pro is installed on a shard workstation.  User A logs in and launches FMPro to access a database hosted on the server.  User B uses fast user switching to login and also accesses the server.  User B performs a step which normally raises any type of error message (e.g. typing before selecting a field).  Expected ResultThe error dialogue (in this example) should contain the text "Before typing, press Tab or click in a field, or shoose the New Record menu command.)The selection button should contain the text "OK". Actual ResultThe error dialogue box contains no text.The selection button is blank.  Exact text of any error message(s) that appearedBLANK! Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issueThis does not happen if the users run FMPro v.8  Any workarounds that you have foundUse FMPro v.8Logout user A (if possible)Reboot the computer to force user A to logout.  

• 1. Re: Multiple users on one computer
          TSGal

mfero:

Thank you for your post.

First, I'm a bit surprised that you got this to work without getting a License Key error message.  Our license agreement says one user per machine, and it sounds like you are trying to have two users access the same copy of FileMaker Pro.  If each person has their own copy of FileMaker Pro on their own machines, do you still encounter this error when connecting to the server?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Multiple users on one computer
            mfero

Sorry, I didn't see your response earlier!   

We have a multi-seat license so I didn't think this would be a violation of the license agreement.  

To be precise the license agreement says, "You may install and use only one copy of the Software on a single computer at a time."  It does not say that it is restricted to only one user.   

As for the functionality issue, the program was installed in the default /Applications folder not in individual users folders. So one idea might be to try to install client software multiple times in each Users own Application folder.  However, the appearance of a malformed error dialogue (instead of a license key warning) is a bug regardless of where the software is installed.  

• 3. Re: Multiple users on one computer
              donk

We have run up against this same issue. We were planning on switching many of our users over to network home folder type accounts but so far a couple of apps have proven un-workable, Filemaker is one of them.

In our case the only difference between your original issue and ours is that we are running Mac OS X 10.6.2. Otherwise the problem is identical. We also have a volume license so it doesn't seem like there should be an issue with multiple users on the same machine. 

Our workaround is to make sure each user quits FMPro before they logout or switch to another user.

• 4. Re: Multiple users on one computer
                Vincent_L

Yes, noticed that too. Also muli-licence. So it has to work. We're in 2010 with quad or more care machine, we need that to be able to crunch data and work alongside

• 5. Re: Multiple users on one computer
                  TSGal

mfero:

Yes, I did not consider multi-seat license so the License Key issue would not be an issue.

You are correct.  The license agreement does not say explicitly restricted to only one user.  However, even though you only have one copy on the computer, it is being used by two different people, so two instances of FileMaker are active at the same time trying to share the same resources, and this will not work properly.

I have forwarded your post along with "Don Kruse" and "Glitchtracker" to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for additional information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Multiple users on one computer
                    TSGal

All:

The information I received is that this is currently a permissions issue.  The file FMStrs.dls should be read only for all users (System, Admin, and everyone).  For now, the workaround is to fix the user permissions for this file.

The file is located in the FileMaker Pro application:

FileMaker Pro.app -> Contents -> Resources -> English.lproj -> FMStrs.dls

Perform a Get Info on this file, and change as follows:

System - Read Only

Admin - Read Only

Everyone - Read Only

Since I currently do not have access to a server, please let me know if this works (or not).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Multiple users on one computer
                      donk

Thanks. We will try this tomorrow and report back.