5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2010 3:02 PM by TSGal

MySQL Text column issue

User29172

Summary

MySQL Text column issue

Description of the issue

Have windows 2003 server running FMS 11 with MySQL 3.51.14 driver pointing at MySQL 5.x database. Clients are running FMP v11. Have a table with a few columns, one being a Text column. The table adds correctly and in field is defined with a max length of 65535 characters. However, only the first 2048 characters of the text field appear. If a record is edited, the column is then truncated to the displayed 2048 characters. However, if we paste a value into the field then > 2048 characters can be written to mysql. There aren't any driver settings for column size. Wondering what the issue may be. Had the same issue with FMS10.

• 1. Re: MySQL Text column issue
          TSGal

andyknas:

Thank you for your post.

It's difficult for me to determine where the "max length of 65535 characters" was defined.  Was this defined in the FileMaker field options or in the VARCHAR parameter of the MySQL column?  The driver setting would not affect the column size.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: MySQL Text column issue
            User29172

The field validation options for the MySQL column show in FMP with a checked, dimmed value for maximum number of characters: 65535 which is the maximum amount of data that a Text column can hold.

I was also incorrect in my original post about 2048 characters. What we're really seeing is that the field gets cut off at 8192 characters.

• 3. Re: MySQL Text column issue
              NYPoke

We had this problem with SQL Server, so I can't comment directly on MySQL.  However, SQL Server had two drivers.  One is named "Native Client".  It works.  The other driver truncated the text data, just as you are describing.  Might be worth a look, to see if they have an alternate driver.

• 4. Re: MySQL Text column issue
                User29172

Thanks for the tip. We use the SQL Native driver as well for a few databases.

On the MySQL side, FileMaker only seems to work with the older 3.51.14 driver. (MySQL had several other releases in the 3.51 stream dating back to 2008 and is has been distributing a 5.1.x release for some time)

• 5. Re: MySQL Text column issue
                  TSGal

All:

This one fell through the cracks, so I apologize for the late reply.

Our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments are aware of this issue.  In essence, as you discovered, only the first 8192 characters appear from a Text column when using MySQL.  The other ESS drivers (SQL Server and Oracle) do not have this issue.  If you enter more than 8192 characters into the field, it will write correctly back to MySQL, but only 8192 characters will appear in FileMaker Pro.  There is no workaround at this time.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.