2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2013 12:10 PM by philmodjunk

Named portals abort naming and all "go to" object calls default to first object

doncarp

Summary

Named portals abort naming and all "go to" object calls default to first object

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.ov3

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.7.5

Description of the issue

I named the second of two portals on a layout. All worked well. Later I duplicated the named portal on the same layout and Inspector complained of multiple naming. I deleted the duplicate portal and discovered that  the original name for named second portal went away. FM then complained original name existed when I tried to replace original name in Inspector for my portal. Tried new different name, naming both portal new names, and bashing the screen with a bat, but nothing worked. All script calls to the second portal failed as the first portal was always selected. Needless to say I have a bunch of time in this since the last backup copy. My bad. Woe is me. Woe is me. Any suggestions. Just remembered the ungroup object trick. Will try that next. Back in a bit.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. create two portals to two different related TO's on one layout. One TO is self joined. The other is plain jane subordinate.

2. Name the second of the two portals to facilitate script selection.

3. Duplicate the second portal because you are an idiot. (Don't ask)

4. Delete the duplicate of the 2nd portal.

5. Discover portal naming now missing.

6. Discover FM believe name still exists (somewhere)

7. Discover all subsequent renamings and other black magic does not work, as all commands to go to the 2nd portal no matter how named abort to the first portal regardless of whether I name it George Washington or Benedict Arnold. Argh.

Expected result

script call for named second object goes to second portal which was first named.

Actual result

All script calls now go to first portal like a dog beamed on a cat. No shouting or name calling has any effect.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

You are an idiot. Try another line of work.

Configuration information

My head is . . . never mind.

Workaround

Top shelf burbon, straight.

• 1. Re: Named portals abort naming and all "go to" object calls default to first object
          doncarp

As usual, the solution to the bug is a simple work around. By using a set selection of a field in the portal, the same effect is had. 

• 2. Re: Named portals abort naming and all "go to" object calls default to first object
            philmodjunk

But this should not be necessary.

You mentioned "Ungroup" this could be significant. Objects on your layout can be named and then, when you group them, you can give the group a name. Go to object can still go to the individual named items, but you can no longer see the object names in the inspector until you ungroup the group and select one individual group member at a time. As long as the items are grouped, only the group's object name is visible and editable in the Inspector.

This can be especially tricky if you select a layout object and set it up as a button. Turning an object groups the selected object(s) with an invisible button object and this will, for the reasons I have just listed, hide the object names of any of the individual objects that you just turned into a button.