Need to make a text field into a live hyperlink for PDF functionality

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

13.0v5

Operating system version

Mac 10.10.3

Description of the issue

I am fine with creating a button to go to the appropriate URL that is unique to each record.  That works wonderfully well in the FMP files I use.  What I need is to have a text field that will have the traditional underscore formatting that activates the function to open the URL once it is clicked.  For me to have a button to do this function in FMP, is not enough.  I am talking about then printing and saving to a PDF and having the link remain active.  Currently the button is part of the PDF, but doesn't do anything to perform the opening of the URL for that specific record.  Nothing in the forum deals with this specific problem.

• 1. Re: Need to make a text field into a live hyperlink for PDF functionality
          philmodjunk

Report An Issue is intended for Reporting Possible Software bugs. Questions on how to work with FileMaker Pro should be posted in the FM Pro Forum Section. (See tab at top of this screen.)

And we've been busy here logging the fixing of old bugs and the discovery of new ones due to the release of FMP 14.

You can't perform scripts or button options by clicking something in a PDF. You may not even have FileMaker open at that time.

But there is some capability to do what you describe, but it's rather ugly.

You could set up a field on your layout to output text like this:

Need to make a text field into a live hyperlink for PDF functionality

and (whether or not it is formatted with underlines), it becomes a clickable link in the PDF. IT's ugly as you can't hide the http text behind an easier to read label like you can here in this forum or on a typical web page, but it has worked for me in the past.