Summary

Need to make Barcode scanner work for event registration database

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 7

Description of the issue

I am trying to get a barcode scanner scan a employee ID and register that employee for a particular event.  First thing is how do i get the scanner to send a "Enter" after the scan.  Second I need to lookup the table information based on that scanned ID and add it to the event.  Has anyone done something like this before?

• 1. Re: Need to make Barcode scanner work for event registration database
          philmodjunk

You'll find a number of thread over in the FM Pro Forum rather than here in Report An Issue that is intended for reporting possible software bugs. Wink

You'll need to contact tech support or the documentation that came with your scanner. Most all scanners can be configured to place text at the beggining and/or end of the scanned data. With some barcode scanners, this is done by placing the scanner in a special mode and then scanning barcodes printed in the user manual for this purpose.

I've set up FileMaker to use the layout trigger OnKeystroke modifier to trigger a script that puts the cursor in the correct field to receive the scanned data and then used either tab, enter or return appended to the end of the scan to trigger a script to process the scanned data.

In your case this script might do nothing more than use set field to move the scanned data from the original (often global) field into a field in your table that serves as the match field to your table of related data. Then, looked up value settings on your other fields can copy data from this related record. (Example: if you scan a productID, looked up value settings on unit price and description fields can copy data from price and description fields in the related products table once the scanned PRoductID is entered in to the Invoices LineItem field.)

• 2. Re: Need to make Barcode scanner work for event registration database
            JimHartz

Thanks Phil, I'm a newby and I understand your steps on WHAT to do, but I don't know HOW to do it.  Is there a book, webinar, video that shows me the steps on how to use the set fiels, define lookups, etc..??

• 3. Re: Need to make Barcode scanner work for event registration database
              philmodjunk

First, you'll need to find out how to set up your scanner the way you need. The steps for that may differ for each scanner so you'll have to contact the dealer/manufacturer for some tech support unless you can find this data in a user manual.

There are any number of online tutorials, even youTube videos available for getting more training in using FileMaker. There are also several book titles available that you can research at a site like Amazon.com to see if they are a good choice for you.