Network access sluggishness under OS X Lion
Operating system version
Mac OS X 10.7.1
Description of the issue
When FileMaker is accessing a database from a client machine, it substantially degrades performance for other applications on that machine.
Steps to reproduce the problem
1. Mac Pro connected by 1000BaseT to another Mac hosting simple FileMaker database. FileMaker is not the foreground application on the host Mac, which is not doing any demanding task (only reviewing Mail). Host Mac is not in sleep.
2. Mac Pro accesses the database across the network.
3. Mac Pro opens a simple Pages document.
4. Typing and editing on the Pages document intermittently hangs/ freezes, then resumes a few seconds later (up to 10 seconds).
5. Activity Monitor confirms that FileMaker (the background application) is most active application at the time of these hangs/ freezes.
Foreground application should not be impaired by FileMaker being open but unused in background. (Was not an issue in earlier versions of Mac OS X).
Foreground application (Pages) temporarily hangs while FileMaker client appears to check in with host.
Exact text of any error message(s) that appear
Client: Mac Pro w/ eight cores
Network: 1000BaseT with Time Capsule.
Host: iMac 2.93 Ghz Intel Core i7
Neither machine is doing a Time Machine backup at the time of the problem.