Network access sluggishness under OS X Lion

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

10.0v4

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.7.1

Description of the issue

When FileMaker is accessing a database from a client machine, it substantially degrades performance for other applications on that machine.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1. Mac Pro connected by 1000BaseT to another Mac hosting simple FileMaker database. FileMaker is not the foreground application on the host Mac, which is not doing any demanding task (only reviewing Mail). Host Mac is not in sleep.

2. Mac Pro accesses the database across the network.

3. Mac Pro opens a simple Pages document.

4. Typing and editing on the Pages document intermittently hangs/ freezes, then resumes a few seconds later (up to 10 seconds).

5. Activity Monitor confirms that FileMaker (the background application) is most active application at the time of these hangs/ freezes.

Expected result

Foreground application should not be impaired by FileMaker being open but unused in background.  (Was not an issue in earlier versions of Mac OS X).

Actual result

Foreground application (Pages) temporarily hangs while FileMaker client appears to check in with host.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Not applicable.

Configuration information

Client: Mac Pro w/ eight cores
      Network: 1000BaseT with Time Capsule.

Host: iMac 2.93 Ghz Intel Core i7

Neither machine is doing a Time Machine backup at the time of the problem.

Workaround

None.

• 1. Re: Network access sluggishness under OS X Lion
          TSGal

Jeffrey Folinus:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

I am unable to replicate the problem.  This is what I have done:

1. On a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.6.8, I launch FileMaker Pro 10.0v3, open a database file, turn on Network Sharing, and then launch Safari.

2. On an iMac running Mac OS X 10.7.2, I launch FileMaker Pro 10.0v3, and access the hosted file on the MacBook Pro.

3. I then launch Pages, and start writing and writing.  There is no change in performance over the next ten minutes.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you.  Also, since so much time has elapsed, if you have found any solution, please post here so others can benefit.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.