6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2009 1:44 PM by philmodjunk

Network Protocol Conflict btw 2 FMP versions?

philmodjunk

Summary

Network Protocol Conflict btw 2 FMP versions?

Description of the issue

I seem to be getting into a habit of encountering weird situations that probably don't apply to most developers/users. System Info:Windows XP, Service Pack 3Filemaker Pro 5.5 and Filemaker Pro Adv. I am preparing converted/upgraded FMP 10 versions of our 5.5 files we currently use. As a result, I have FMP 5.5 and FMP 10 adv installed on my workstation. I need both so that I can both maintain our current system, while also working on the upgraded system. Recently, I quit FMP 10, launched FMP 5.5 and attempted to connect as a guest to our hosted 5.5 files. The Host list was blank even though we had two FMS 5.5 servers and one FMP 10 workstation hosting files. (I could confirm this easily by going to a different computer and opening the hosts list.) Our existing 5.5 system is configured to use IPX/SPX. Our "test bed" system for FMP 10adv on the above machine and FMS 10 on Windows Server 2003. The version 10 system, of course, uses TCP/IP. Simultaneously, on the same network, our current system consists of files hosted on two servers using FMS 5.5 and one machine using FMP 5.5 to host a few files. Now here's where it gets weird:If I launch FMP 5.5, use preferences to select TCP/IP, and relaunch, I can now see the FMS 5.5 files listed in the host list and can successfully open and use these files. The FMP 5.5 hosted peer to peer files remain invisible even though all the 5.5 servers are set only for IPX/SPX! Anybody got a clue as to what's happened and how to fix it? This could become a major issue for us as I was planning to set up two more machines with FMP 10 for training and user feed back purposes, but I will still need them to work with the current FMP 5.5 system until we are ready to roll out the changes.

• 1. Re: Network Protocol Conflict btw 2 FMP versions?
          TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for your post.

Trying to find a definitive answer to this question has been difficult, since there have been several changes since version 5.5.  Since you are running on a network, it APPEARS that the server for FileMaker Pro 10 doesn't immediately see that you have quit, so the IP address is still connected.  Still, this should only stop you from launching FileMaker Pro 5.5.  Obviously, you are past this point, as you can then select TCP/IP and then the files become available.  I will continue to research this, and when I hear more information, I'll let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Network Protocol Conflict btw 2 FMP versions?
            philmodjunk
               I appreciate your efforts. It'll really smooth our transition if we can figure this one out.
            • 3. Re: Network Protocol Conflict btw 2 FMP versions?
              philmodjunk

"Since you are running on a network, it APPEARS that the server for FileMaker Pro 10 doesn't immediately see that you have quit, so the IP address is still connected."

I know you ruled this possibility out in the next sentence, but I decided to run a small test this morning on the slim chance it might reveal something. I closed the FMS 10 hosted files and halted the FMS 10 service. I then tried launching FMP 5.5 and opening the hosts dialog with different network settings.

Results:  No change.

If I select TCP/IP, I can see the FMS hosted files being hosted via IPX/SPX but not the files being hosted by FMP 5.5 via IPX/SPX.

If I select IPX/SPX, I can't see any files in the host list.

Other machines with FMP 5.5 only installed continue to be able to function normally as clients of all the hosted files.

Thanks for your help.

• 4. Re: Network Protocol Conflict btw 2 FMP versions?
                TSGal

PhilModJunk:

This problem is like a nasty sore that won't go away.  (Not directed at you - just the problem)

The bottom line is that IPX/SPX is no longer supported, and everyone I've talked to points me to another person who doesn't have the information and points me to another person.  One person said, "Why doesn't the customer just change the protocol to TCP/IP?"

Although it may be a good question, it doesn't handle the problem.  I'm sure you have many users accessing the file via IPX/SPX, so the logistics of changing this from IPX to TCP/IP for everyone would be difficult; especially since everything is currently working without any problems!  However, what I find interesting is that you can see the hosted files using TCP/IP with FileMaker Pro 5.5.  What happens when you try to select one of the files (choose one that would cause the least damage)?  Does it open?  Crash?

Obviously, those files that are hosted by FileMaker Pro 5.5 is a different issue.

I'll continue to pursue this.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: Network Protocol Conflict btw 2 FMP versions?
                  philmodjunk

TSGal wrote:

This problem is like a nasty sore that won't go away.  (Not directed at you - just the problem)

If the sore gets too painful, let me know. I'll post a "no solution" message and accept it as "solved" to close the thread.

The bottom line is that IPX/SPX is no longer supported, and everyone I've talked to points me to another person who doesn't have the information and points me to another person.  One person said, "Why doesn't the customer just change the protocol to TCP/IP?"

Although it may be a good question, it doesn't handle the problem.  I'm sure you have many users accessing the file via IPX/SPX, so the logistics of changing this from IPX to TCP/IP for everyone would be difficult; especially since everything is currently working without any problems!  

You said it! Although I'd have to change over less than 20 machines, this system runs in a Point of Sale environment where 1,000's of dollars are disbursed to waiting customers every day. Down time of even 5 minutes during regular business hours results in lost customers, lost business for us and a very irate boss. I know better than to even suggest that one!

However, what I find interesting is that you can see the hosted files using TCP/IP with FileMaker Pro 5.5.  What happens when you try to select one of the files (choose one that would cause the least damage)?  Does it open?  Crash?

Quoting from my initial post: "If I launch FMP 5.5, use preferences to select TCP/IP, and relaunch, I can now see the FMS 5.5 files listed in the host list and can successfully open and use these files."

I used to be irritated when posters loose track of information in previous posts, but now that I'm a regular contributor to the Forum, I've experienced the embarrassment of doing the same thing. Once you've started composing a new post, it's hard to review all previous posts in the thread. For you, it must be even harder with all us users clamoring for your attention.

Obviously, those files that are hosted by FileMaker Pro 5.5 is a different issue.

For us this is just as significant a problem as accessing files hosted by FMS.

I'll continue to pursue this.

Thanks,

If I have to stick to only one version of FMP per client machine, then I'll just have to try to convince my boss to uninstall FMP 5.5 on one additional machine during our training and evaluation phase of this upgrade process.

• 6. Re: Network Protocol Conflict btw 2 FMP versions?
                    philmodjunk

Problem solved.

If I were the rude type of individual, I'd call up a certain computer tech and scream at him.:smileymad:

I finally got around to comparing network settings for the IPX/SPX protocol on other machines to my development platform's settings.

They were not the same.

On my machine, it was set to "Auto-detect". On the other machines, they were set to a specific frame type and network number. When I changed my settings to match, the problem was solved.

An interesting side note: Apparently, our two servers that are running an older version of FMS, are serving up the files using both TCP/IP and IPX/SPX. Our one machine that was hosting a few files with FMP was set to IPX/SPX.

Thus, when I set preferences on my development machine to use TCP/IP, I could access the files hosted by server but not any files hosted peer to peer by Filemaker Pro.

I suspect that a certain hardware tech guy that we had in checking for network problems, (Turns out we had a bad cable), may have changed the settings and didn't tell me nor did he change them back!

In any case, problem solved and we can now move forward to set up some dual install machines to start prepping users for the major upgrade that I have headed their way.