Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0v3

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.4

Description of the issue

FileMaker Server 11.0v2 running on Mac OS X 10.6.4
      15 Mac client machines on the local area network running FileMaker Pro 11.0v2 or 10.0v3 on Mac OS X 10.6.4.

I open the database with full access from a client machine on the local area network and make some additions to the database: (1) I add a new field to a table and place it on a layout, or (2) I add a new script step to an existing script, or (3) I add a new custom menu to an existing menu set. I save all my changes and quit out of FileMaker Pro. (I'm actually using FileMaker Pro ADVANCED 10.0v3 to make my changes.)

None of the other clients see the changes that I've added. (1) If I added a brand new field into the database & place it on a layout, they'll actually SEE the new field on the layout but it says "

". (2) If they run the script that I added the script step to, it will skip over the new script step as if it never existed. (3) And if I add a new custom menu to an existing menu set, they'll see "" in the menu bar.

The fix is simple, but a major pain in the ass. The user has to completely quit out of FileMaker Pro and relaunch it, and then everything is fine again.

I've never experienced this before when working in FileMaker. Typically, any changes that I make are instantly seen by everybody on the network. But now, I always have to have everybody quit & relaunch FileMaker after each change I make.

This is a huge step backwards in usability -- I can't be having my users quit & relaunch FileMaker all day long, but that's exactly what they have to do.

• 1. Re: New database additions not immediately seen by clients
          philmodjunk

I'm not seeing this behavior on my system, but then we use Windows, so this may be a Mac specific issue.

I am concerned about this statement: "I open the database with full access from a client machine on the local area network and make some additions to the database: (1) I add a new field to a table"

Adding a new field to your table while it is in use can be dangerous. FileMaker briefly locks tables and records when you make modification in Manage | Database and then click OK. If a user is running a script at that same exact moment, the "lock" can keep a step in the script from modifying data in a record as expected. And no error message is generated to tell you that this happened. You only discover this when the script does not produce the change expected or you audit your data and discover discrepancies...

For that reason, I recommend not defining fields on a "live" system. I wait until after hours to make this kind of change, or make changes to a new copy of the file and swap them--importing data as needed--after hours.

• 2. Re: New database additions not immediately seen by clients
            TSGal

scotty321:

Thank you for your post.

I do not have access to a Mac OS X 10.6 Server at this time.  I have tried this with FileMaker Server 11 on Windows 2003, Windows 2008, and Mac OS X 10.5 Server.  Accessing the files as a guest from a Mac OS X 10.5.8, Mac OS X 10.6.5, and Windows XP SP3, I am able to add a field to a layout, and the change is immediately displayed on the other guest machines.

You mention "Typically, any changes that I make are instantly seen by everybody on the network."  Assuming this worked previously, what changes have been made?  Does this editing problem only occur with this particular file?  Or, does it occur with all files on the Server?  If you make changes from another client on the network, do the changes occur instantly?

I'm trying to narrow the focus a bit, so any testing or information you can provide may be helpful.

TSGal
            FileMaker, Inc.