No drop-down list is displayed when a new entry is added

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v4

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.8.4

Description of the issue

When i make a field which acts as a foreign key and i set it up to display the values from another table i select first the ID value, and then the Name field as a second value in a drop down list.
Now when i go back into Browse mode and click the field no drop-down is displayed.

Expected result

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg4vyifqZEM
this video shows the kind of drop down i want to make

Actual result

When i go back to layout editing and click the "display arrow" option and go back to browse mode the first time i click the arrow nothing happens the second time a drop down list is displayed. I go back in layout editing mode en remove the arrow again". Back in browse mode the drop down list works fine, until a new entry is made is the table from which the drop down list is created then it stops working again....

Workaround

When i go back to layout editing and click the "display arrow" option and go back to browse mode the first time i click the arrow nothing happens the second time a drop down list is displayed. I go back in layout editing mode en remove the arrow again". Back in browse mode the drop down list works fine, until a new entry is made is the table from which the drop down list is created then it stops working again....

Outcomes