No drop-down list is displayed when a new entry is added

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12.0v4

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.8.4

Description of the issue

When i make a field which acts as a foreign key and i set it up to display the values from another table i select first the ID value, and then the Name field as a second value in a drop down list.
      Now when i go back into Browse mode and click the field no drop-down is displayed.

Expected result

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg4vyifqZEM
      this video shows the kind of drop down i want to make

Actual result

When i go back to layout editing and click the "display arrow" option and go back to browse mode the first time i click the arrow nothing happens the second time a drop down list is displayed. I go back in layout editing mode en remove the arrow again". Back in browse mode the drop down list works fine, until a new entry is made is the table from which the drop down list is created then it stops working again....

Workaround

When i go back to layout editing and click the "display arrow" option and go back to browse mode the first time i click the arrow nothing happens the second time a drop down list is displayed. I go back in layout editing mode en remove the arrow again". Back in browse mode the drop down list works fine, until a new entry is made is the table from which the drop down list is created then it stops working again....

• 1. Re: No drop-down list is displayed when a new entry is added
          philmodjunk

Have you selected any other options in setting up this "use values from a field" value list?

Is indexing enabled for the two fields that supply data to this list?

If you create a small test file and attempt to recreate this issue, can you?

If not, try recovering the file and see if the recovered file--even if no problems are reported by the recover process, has the same behavior.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1.           The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3.           Recover does not detect all problems
          5.           Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7.           Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).