4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2010 10:40 AM by TSGal

No Set Field error in find mode

LaRetta_1

Summary

No Set Field error in find mode

Description of the issue

FileMaker Product(s) involved:FMPA 9.0v3  Operating System(s) involved:Windows XP Professional 2002 SP2  Detail description of the issue:I was reminded of this bug in a current post http://forum-en.filemaker.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&thread.id=36388  so I thought I'd mention it now.  Exact steps to reproduce the issue:Create following script:  Set Error Capture [ On ]  Enter Find Mode [ uncheck pause ]  Set Field [ anyTable::anyField ; any value ]  Show Custom Dialog [ Get ( LastError ) ] … or use debugger  Perform Find [ ]… this works perfectly. Now:  go delete the field listed in the Set Field[] step (from table definitions).  In the script, it will turn into < field missing > Now run the script again.     Expected Result:It should produce error 102 (field is missing) which it does when in browse mode when you attempt to set a field with a value.   Other errors work in find mode, such as: 101 (record is missing) … can be generated if layout points to unknown table occurrence.5 (…SetField  script step does not have a calculation specified) 105 (layout is missing)  and so forth  Actual Result:No error is thrown Exact text of any error message(s) that appeared:None  Any additional configuration information/troubleshooting that is relevant to the issue:It would sure help if we knew which errors can possibly be thrown by which script steps.  Any workarounds that you have found:None

• 1. Re: No Set Field error in find mode
          MartinBrändle

Can confirm this bug on FMPA 10v3, OS X 10.6.2

However, if you move the  Show Custom Dialog [ Get ( LastError ) ] script step after the Perform Find script step, you obtain error 508 (Invalid value entered in Find mode).

Edit added: However, if you delete the field in Manage Database, you obtain a warning that the field is used in Script "xy". 

• 2. Re: No Set Field error in find mode
            LaRetta_1

Hi Martin, thank you for confirming - much appreciated!  :smileyhappy:

I know we'd get a warning if the field was deleted but the field might be corrupted and would be 'missing' as well - that's how I discovered it originally several months ago. I've been studying error codes in corruption, as well as missing tables when on other servers etc.

And I know we can proceed and get other errors (check the link I provided).  But can we guarantee in all instances that we won't ever need to know that field is missing or broken while in find mode before the Perform Find?  Example - if we are using that field to duplicate the find request (which contains that broken field) and then we modify the request with additional information, we don't get 508 but rather 400 (missing find criteria), which is not normally considered dangerous and is usually addressed with Custom Dialog to User and chance to try again.

I dislike uncertainties, particularly when it should produce the error and does in Browse.  It is difficult to find out which errors are thrown and when; they tend to overlap and offset each other at times.  We need to trust that we at least GET an error when we should; not later on in the script. 

• 3. Re: No Set Field error in find mode
              LaRetta_1
                 Has this at least been passed on to the Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments so there is possibility of it being fixed?
              • 4. Re: No Set Field error in find mode
                TSGal

LaRetta:

Thank you for your post.

Yes, this has previously been reported.  I have added your information to the original case for our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments to review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.