No spooling message when using Dymo Label printer under Pro 11

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Pro 11

Operating system version

Windows XP & 7

Description of the issue

I used to operate a Dymo Label printer under Pro 9. All operations were running smoothly. Since I upgraded to Pro 11, I noticed no spooling message after clicking the Print button in the printer dialog box. This was not issue under Pro 9. This is a bug.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I noticed no spooling message after clicking the Print button in the printer dialog box.

Expected result

It should print label as per requested.

Actual result

No spooling message therfore no printout

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

No error message occured because the connection never happened

Configuration information

It will work perfectly under Pro 9 but nothing happens under Pro 11. This has nothing to do with the OS. Only Pro 11 is responsible.

Workaround

Nope

• 1. Re: No spooling message when using Dymo Label printer under Pro 11
          TSGal

Laurier Lévesque:

Thank you for your post.

Does everything appear correctly in Preview mode?

What are your settings under Print Setup?  I'm assuming the Dymo Printer is listed and the page size is set up properly.

What are your settings under Print?  At the top, make sure it says "Records being browsed".  Try printing to file first and look at the output.  Then, try printing to the Dymo Printer again.

Please keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: No spooling message when using Dymo Label printer under Pro 11
            LaurierLévesque

This is a basic script that any debutant will create. It is set to Current Record because I need to print one label at the time.

Set Error Capture on

Go to Layout ...

Print Setup ()

Print ()

Go to Layout ...

I don't get it when you said: "Try printing to file first". The Dymo is listed and the page size is set up properly. As per said, I've been using the same script with Pro 9 and now nothing happens under Pro 11. The best way to see my point is to get a Dymo printer and run a test on your end.

• 3. Re: No spooling message when using Dymo Label printer under Pro 11
              TSGal

Laurier Lévesque:

I am using FileMaker Pro 11.0v3 on Windows XP (SP3).  I just hooked up a Dymo LabelWriter Duo and installed the driver(s).  I opened a database file, went into Print Setup and selected "DYMO LabelWriter Duo Label" with Paper Size 30252 Address, Paper Source Automatically Select, and Orientation Portrait.  In the Print menu, I had Print Current record, selected the "DYMO LabelWriter Duo Label" printer, chose a page range of 1 to 1.  I clicked OK, and it printed.

I then created a new script with the following steps:

Set Error Capture [On]
              Print Setup [ Restore ; No dialog ]
              Print [ Restore: DYMO LabelWriter DUO Label ; No dialog ]

I executed the script, and the DYMO LabelWriter printed.

Please let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the problem.

TSGal
              FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: No spooling message when using Dymo Label printer under Pro 11
                LaurierLévesque

Hi TSGal,

I realized that the layout was too big to print the label under Pro 11. I resized it then I've been able to print a label but my label format is 30256 Shipping not 30252 Address. I set the new setting and saved it but it keeps using 30252 Address. This caused my company info not to be printed on the label.