Summary

No way to change script name in "Edit Script" or "Specify Script"

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Windows 8.1 64bit

Description of the issue

In FM12 you were able to rename a script inside the script editing window and when selecting the script beforehand. I can't find any way to do this anymore in FM14 and even when duplicating a script in the Specify Script window, I can't even rename that. This seems like an oversight - please add the ability to rename the script once more. Having to go to the Script Workspace each time is really not efficient or productive.

I posted about this on the forum thinking I was overlooking something but apparently this is a result of the new script interface and many if not everyone who posted wants this back as well.

Steps to reproduce the problem

-- happens for everyone, always

Expected result

The ability to rename the script inside the script editing window

Actual result

No option anywhere to change the name of a script on the fly

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

//

Configuration information

//

Workaround

Using the Script Workspace

• 1. Re: No way to change script name in "Edit Script" or "Specify Script"

Stevie P:

Thank you for the post. 

I submitted this as a feature request to Testing and Development. Additionally, I would encourage you to enter this as a suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

These web form suggestions are monitored and read by our Development and Product Management departments and then discussed and considered for a future release. Although I could copy and paste your post into the web form, there are some questions asked that only you can answer.

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: No way to change script name in "Edit Script" or "Specify Script"

Stevie P:

Testing informed me that a script can be renamed via the following methods:

1. Right-click the script name in the script list > Click “Rename”

2. Right-click the script name in its tab > Click “Rename Script”

3. Double-click on the script name displayed on a tab to rename the script being displayed.

4. With the script window open or tab in focus > Click “Scripts” (menu) > Click “Rename Script”

However, currently in FileMaker Pro 14.0.1 (Advanced) no option exists for renaming a script by clicking the script name in the edit window and that remains open as a feature request. 

TSFalcon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: No way to change script name in "Edit Script" or "Specify Script"
              StevieP

Thank you for the suggestions TSFalcon. 

However, the methods are all for inside the Script Workspace which was my point. When you're editing the layout and inside a menu, you don't even have access to the Script Workspace. The Workspace seems to be the only place where you can do *any* renaming which seems like a big design flaw. I'll do as you suggested and make it a feature request (or rather, a feature re-add since it was removed in FM14).

• 4. Re: No way to change script name in "Edit Script" or "Specify Script"
                user24812

This is true especially since you can still "duplicate" a script in the "edit" environment but then not rename it. You're stuck with "old script name copy" and need to exit to a completely different environment (Script Workspace) just to edit the name? This is a very time consuming work around when editing existing buttons, script triggers, etc. on a layout. Hopefully the answer above from Testing doesn't mean they are not going to address this request? Edit Script should be able to fully edit the script as it did in previous versions, including the script name.