Non Printing objects in Portal will Print

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Advanced 13.0v2

Operating system version

OS 10.9.2

Description of the issue

I have a layout with a portal with 10 rows.  Included with the fields is a button to delete that row.  I have highlighted that button and marked as Hide when Printing.  Buttons outside of the portal marked as Hide when Printing do not print, but the button in the portal continues to print even though marked at Hide when Printing.

Steps to reproduce the problem

If I make the layout longer than 1 page (I am using Portrait) the buttons do not appear in Preview.

If the layout is 1 page, the buttons do appear in Preview.

The layout has a Header which contains buttons only and a body which contains the fields and portals.  Tried creating a new database.  Same issue.  As long as the layout is greater than 1 page, the button does not show up.  If the layout is less than a full page, the button prints.

Expected result

Button with Hide when Printing should not print

Actual result

Button prints when layout is 1 page.
      Button does not print when layout is greater than 1 page

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None

Configuration information

FileMaker Pro Advanced 13.0v2 and Mac OS 10.9.2 and FileMaker Server 13.0.1.228.  Signed on with Admin password

Workaround

User keywords recommended turning on Sliding up in the portal.  Button does not print, but the vertical look of the layout is compromised.

• 1. Re: Non Printing objects in Portal will Print
          TSGal

Tom Keith:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  This is what I have done:

1. I created a table, "Addresses" with the following fields:
                  ID (Number)
                  Street (Text)
                  City (Text)

2. I created a table "Names" with the following fields:
                  ID (Number - Auto enter serial)
                  Name (Text)

3. I created a relationship between the two tables where ID = ID

4. I set the "Addresses" table in the relationship to allow creation of records via the relationship.

5. In the "Names" layout, I created a portal, sized for five rows, that included the fields Street and City.

6. Using the button tool, I created a button in the portal that performs Show Custom Dialog with a "TEST" message.

7. While still in Layout mode, I selected the button, clicked the Position tab in the Inspector and entered a checkmark next to "Hide when printing".

8. In Browse Mode, I entered one record (Name = TSGal) and added a few addresses where I have lived previously.

9. I click the button to make sure it works correctly.

10. I go to Preview, and the button does not appear.  There is only one page in Preview.

11. I Print, and the button does not appear in the one page printout.

I am using the default Enlightened Theme.  Let me know what I'm doing differently than you.  Also, tell me as much as you can about your Layout that I may have overlooked from your posting.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Non Printing objects in Portal will Print
            tommykeith

Here is the file I created.  https://app.box.com/shared/static/1lsa3h1tltf50hm6hopo.fmp12

It sounds like you did the same as me.  On my layout, if the layout is greater than 1 page the button does not print.  Less than 1 page it prints.

• 3. Re: Non Printing objects in Portal will Print
              TSGal

Tom Keith:

Thank you for the file.

I am able to replicate the issue with your file and a new file.  That is, the button will not hide when the layout is smaller than the page length, and will hide when the layout exceeds one page.  I have also discovered that If the bottom of the button touches the bottom of the portal row, then it will hide.

The other file where it is working for me was created in FileMaker Pro 12, and it does not exhibit this behavior.

I have sent your file along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Non Printing objects in Portal will Print
                tommykeith

The original file that is showing this behavior was created in FileMaker 6 and update through the years with each new version of Filemaker when it came out if that helps any.

• 5. Re: Non Printing objects in Portal will Print
                  TSGal

Tommy Keith:

Although your comments make it more confusing for me, I did receive confirmation that this issue has been previously reported (not by someone on the FileMaker forum), and both Testing and Development are aware of the issue.  As a side note, Testing did not have information about the length of the layout (going to two pages) affecting the display, so that has been forwarded to Development for further review.

I will continue to keep you updated as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Non Printing objects in Portal will Print
                    philmodjunk

Could this be an issue only on Mac systems? When I use a copy of a Known Bugs List database in FileMaker 13--created in FMP 10, classic themed, I cannot reproduce. A small button fully inside the portal row set to "hide when printing" does not show when I preview the layout.

The layout is less than one page tall.

• 7. Re: Non Printing objects in Portal will Print
                      TSGal

PhilModJunk:

On one of my files, it works as expected.  On another file, like the one from the customer or one I create newly, the issue occurs.

With multiple records, if I switch to the second page (hence, second record) and back to the first record, the button then hides as expected.

I tested this on both Mac OS X 10.9.2 and Windows 7.

TSGal
                           FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Non Printing objects in Portal will Print
                        philmodjunk

Interesting, with a layout using the enlightened theme in a brand new .fmp12 file, I can get exactly the same behavior as you-- the button fails to hide but I can flip to page two and back to make it disappear.

• 9. Re: Non Printing objects in Portal will Print
                          philmodjunk

As a simple work around in FileMaker 13, use Get ( WindowMode ) = 2 or Get ( WindowMode ) = 3 in the "hide object when" box for the button.

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 10. Re: Non Printing objects in Portal will Print
                            TSGal

Tommy Keith:

This issue has been fixed in FileMaker Pro 14.0.1.

TSGal
                            FileMaker, Inc.