Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

12 and 13

Operating system version

Windows 7, Windows 8.1

Description of the issue

A calculation of:

Substitute ( text ; "-" ; Char ( 8209 ) )

... should produce a non-break hyphen but on Windows it produces the hyphen with a trailing space.  Attached screen shot shows left side results on Mac (Maverick), right side results on Windows (7).

Please see this link for example file (post #7) and more information (beginning on post #5): 

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/91506-stop-word-break-on-hyphen/

Steps to reproduce the problem

Create a text field with FX-44 then create the calculation above and observe the results.

Expected result

It should produce only a non-break hyphen like it does on Mac ... without the trailing space.

Actual result

non-break hyphen with a space

non-break.png

• 1. Re: Non-break hyphen adds a space on Windows
          LaRetta_1

It makes no sense that the image does not appear.  It says I must be signed in to see it but I AM signed in.

Well it is the same image indicated in the link on post #7.

• 2. Re: Non-break hyphen adds a space on Windows
            philmodjunk

Hi LaRetta,

I suspect that the forum logged you out between posts. I can see the image just fine here.

Due to a noxious forum bug, please protect yourself with a "Select-All, copy to your clipboard" action just before submitting a private message or comment to this forum. The bug can lose your comment and log you out of the forum--forcing you to sign back in and re-enter the comment or message. By copying to the clipboard before posting, you can re-enter your message by pasting from the clipboard instead of having to retype it all over again.

And from the lack of progress fixing this issue, I must conclude that the RightNow programmers remain clueless...

• 3. Re: Non-break hyphen adds a space on Windows
              LaRetta_1

Thank you, Phil!  That is good to know.  :-)

• 4. Re: Non-break hyphen adds a space on Windows
                philmodjunk

It's particularly maddening when posting an Issue Report. The multiple text box format has forced me to do the following:

Enter text in first box.

Select all in box and copy to clipboard

Save and Preview

Click Edit

Repeat with next box in issue report form... frown

• 5. Re: Non-break hyphen adds a space on Windows
                  TSGal

LaRetta:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue with FileMaker Pro 13.0v3 under Windows 7.  Here are the steps I took:

1. I created a new table with a Text field named "TEXT".

2. In Layout Mode, I selected TEXT, changed the Font to Tahoma (since that is the only font I can see a non-breaking hyphen), 12 points, and I sized the field for 144 point Width and 59 point Height.

3. Saving the layout and returning to Browse mode, I created a record and entered the following:

TV-4, TV-5, TV-6, TV-7, TV-8

4. The wrap-around occurred in "TV-7" between "V" and the hyphen, so "-7, TV-8" appears on the second line.

5. With my cursor still in TEXT, I pulled down the Records menu and selected "Replace Field Contents..."

6. In the Replace Field Contents dialog box, I selected the last option "Replace with calculated result:".

7. In the Specify Calculation dialog box, I entered:

Substitute ( TEXT ; "-" ; Char (8209) )

8. I clicked OK to exit Specify Calculation, and then clicked Replace.

I do not get any extra spaces.  I get "TV-4, TV-5, TV-6" on the first line, and "TV-7, TV-8" on the second line.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Non-break hyphen adds a space on Windows
                    LaRetta_1

Wow, thank you so much for your prompt and thorough answer!  I explained how to replicate it  - the issue is when it is a calculation.   Changing the text itself will not be helpful ... we cannot have Users typing the data and be required to stop and reformat each hyphen as they go.  Char ( 8209 ) should work as a calculation; in fact, that is its purpose.  

Knowing it works at the data level may help us narrow it to the calculation.  Others have already validated the same behavior  ... reading the link I referenced will help showing what other Windows Users have gotten, as will viewing the file I provided in Post #7 with the simple example).

Maybe it is fixed with 13.0v3 on Windows!  :-)  I am Mac and  I cannot test on Windows.

Thanks again!

• 7. Re: Non-break hyphen adds a space on Windows
                      philmodjunk

TSGal's test seemed very reasonable to me as it uses the same substitute function.

I decided to do a few different takes on this.

But every test that I tried, did not produce the leading  extra space.

I used char ( 8209) both with and without substitute in the data viewer first and then in calculation fields on a layout.

Then I went to the other forum, downloaded her test file and sure enough, there was the extra space.

I then messed with her file, adding my own fields and they all also showed the added space just like hers.

My tests were all done in WIndows 7, FileMaker 13.0v3. I started with the Known Bugs database for my testing and since that file is a) converted from .fp7 format and b) uses classic themed layouts. I then tried this with an enlightened theme using calculation fields identical to LaRetta's in a brand new file and was able to reproduce this issue.

Just as described in the other forum, I got a "box" at 100% magnification and the extra space after I zoomed the layout.

That led me to playing with the Tahoma font and zooming the layout.

What I found was that no extra space was visible at 100% but if I zoomed to 150%, it was visible. I then went back to the Known Bugs List database copy where I started the testing and was able to reproduce this behavior there--ruling out the possibility that this is either theme related or can be have different results in files converted from the .fp7 format.

Thus, the key detail is to zoom the layout.

• 8. Re: Non-break hyphen adds a space on Windows
                        TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Thanks for the information.  I am now able to replicate when viewing at 150%.  This does not occur under Mac OS X 10.9.2 at 150%.

I have sent along this forum thread along with my findings to Development and Testing for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let everyone know.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Non-break hyphen adds a space on Windows
                          philmodjunk

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.

• 10. Re: Non-break hyphen adds a space on Windows
                            TSGal

LaRetta and PhilModJunk:

I apologize for the late response.

Our testers were able to replicate the issue, but as a possible workaround, they following Windows fonts did not exhibit this issue:
                                    Lucida Sans Unicode
                                    Microsoft PhagsPa
                                    Palatino Linotype
                                    Segoe UI Symbol
                                    Meiryo
                                    Meiryo UI
                                    MS Gothic
                                    MS Mincho
                                    MS PGothic
                                    MS PMincho
                                    MS UI Gothic

TSGal