3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2009 12:10 PM by TSGal

Non-Combo Drop Down List triggers field validation without exiting the field

philmodjunk

Summary

Non-Combo Drop Down List triggers field validation without exiting the field

Description of the issue

Windows XP, SP3, FMP 10.03, FMP 10.03 Adv and FMP 5.5 (I was curious if older versions did this also). When a user selects a value from a simple drop down list (no arrow option), the cursor remains in the field which allows designers to create interfaces where a users selects an initial value from the value list and then types in additional data to finish recording data in the field. Unfortunately, if the value initially entered from the value list violates a validataion rule, the validation error appears before the user can finish entering data in the field. Define a value list with the custom values, < and >. Format a field to use this value list as a drop down list. Do not select the arrow option. Enter find mode and select a value from the list. The cursor remains in the field, but filemaker pops up the error dialog telling you that you've entered invalid criteria. Since the cursor remains in the field, this appears inconsistent with expected behavior with other field data entry where validation is not check until you exit the field. It creates issues for the user in this particular situation as the dialog pops up before they can add the rest of their find criterion to the field. This will also happen in browse mode if you create a validation rule that conflicts with a value entered from the value list, but is less likely to create issues with the users.  

• 1. Re: Non-Combo Drop Down List triggers field validation without exiting the field
          TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Thank you for your post.

I am having difficulty replicating the problem.

Using FileMaker Pro 10.0v3 under Windows XP SP3, this is what I have done.

1. Create a new database file, Test.fp7 with the following two fields:

a1 (Text - Validation - a1="Y")

a2 (Text)

2. I create a Value List "YesNo" with two custom values "Yes" and "No".

3. In Layout Mode, I double-click "a1", Display as: Drop-down List, and Display values from: "YesNo".

4. In Browse Mode, I created a new record, selected the "Yes" value for a1, and the cursor jumped to a2.  No error message.

5. Pressing the tab key took me back to a1, the value list appeared, and I was able to click in the field and change the value from "Yes" to "Yessss".

6. When I finally committed the record, then I received the message: "a1" is defined to contain only specific values.  Allow this value?

7. I removed "a2" from the layout.  Now, when I put my cursor in "a1", the value list showed up, and selecting a value left me in "a1" where I was able to change the value.  Clicking outside the field committed the value and the validation error message appeared.

What am I doing differently than you?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Non-Combo Drop Down List triggers field validation without exiting the field
            philmodjunk

That's interesting.

I just went back to my test DB and went down the list of validation options, testing each in turn.

The following options exhibited this inconsistent behavior

Data type

Existing Value

Member of Value List

In Range

Maximum Number of Characters

"By calculation" did not.

Of course, FMP's built in "invalid criteria" validation while in Find Mode (my original example) also triggers this premature validation test.

• 3. Re: Non-Combo Drop Down List triggers field validation without exiting the field
              TSGal

PhilModJunk:

Murphy's Law... The one option I choose is the only option that doesn't fail.  :-)

I have verified the other Validation options, and I confirm your findings.

I have forwarded this information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for review and confirmation.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.