Not enough memory error message when creating pdf

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

11.0 v2

Operating system version

Mac OS X 10.6.4

Description of the issue

I am trying to create a report as a pdf based on found records.  I have done this hundreds of times.  Now, for some reason, with 8 records found, I try to generate a pdf and I get a dialogue box saying "Sorry, there is not enough memory to complete this operation." with an "OK" button to push.  I can easily print the report to my laser printer (it takes 2 whole pages!), but if I try to save as pdf, or mail pdf, or save as Adobe pdf, or save as PostScript, etc, I get the above error message.  Also clicking PREVIEW on the print dialogue box generates the same error message.  I have 8 GB of RAM and 150 GB free disk space, so I don't think that is the problem.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

Sorry, there is not enough memory to complete this operation.

Workaround

If I quit FileMaker and relaunch it, the problem disappears.

• 1. Re: Not enough memory error message when creating pdf
          TSGal

Mark Greenberg:

Thank you for your post, and I apologize for the late reply.

From your post, it definitely sounds like there was a memory issue, since relaunching FileMaker Pro would reset memory.  I know it has been some time, but do you recall what you were doing prior to receiving the message?  Do you recall how long the file was open prior to this?

If this problem is still occurring, please write down what you did prior to the memory message.  That is, scripts being run, backing up files, copying files, importing records, etc.  This may be helpful in narrowing down what is causing the message to appear.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Not enough memory error message when creating pdf
            dburnham

I have been observing this same problem for a long time, but I can't recall if it goes back as far as FileMaker 10.

In my case, the out of memory error message only appears when trying to use the Save as PDF option in the Mac Finder's print dialog.  Whenever it happens, I switch to Save Records as PDF and that solves the problem without a quit and restart.

But today, I wanted to print a relationship graph and had no option but to quit and restart the application.

I consider this pesky and annoying but it's definitely not for lack of memory.

• 3. Re: Not enough memory error message when creating pdf
              dealtek

Hi all,

Well I'm still seeing this on 2 different computers in an office:

SORRY - not enough memory to complete this operation

when trying to print filemaker layout from finder print - just 1 page record....

Q: How do we fix this?

• 4. Re: Not enough memory error message when creating pdf
                TSGal

coolcat:

Thank you for your post.

Are you running FileMaker Pro 12 or FileMaker Pro 11 (like the original poster)?  What other applications do you have open?  Is this occurring on a file being hosted or a local file?  Is it just the one layout that is having difficulty printing?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in narrowing down a possible cause.

TSGal
                     FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Not enough memory error message when creating pdf
                  dburnham

How timely that this arrived in my inbox today.

Yesterday, the problem that I reported as solved a few months ago appeared again.  In FM-12, every attempt to SAVE as PDF was crashing the application.  It happens whether I was using my solution, or a starter solution.

Back in September, I had to re-install the Mac OS to fix this.

Yesterday, I decided not to do that, because I had reinstalled the OS only a few days ago to solve a problem with Microsoft Office2011.  So instead, I reinstalled FileMaker 12 Advanced.  

Now, the problem is cured again.   I make this report only to be helpful because the installation/performance of the PDF "engine" is a mystery to me and I hope someone at FMI will know what to do about it.

• 6. Re: Not enough memory error message when creating pdf
                    RickWhitelaw

I'm running FMPA 12v03 on OS X 10.7.5. I have many print  scripts that save PDF files to the Temp folder before printing. Not much help, but I've never encountered this issue for several years . . . Since FMPA 10 when I wrote the routines.