5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2010 9:56 AM by LaRetta_1

Not Equal Operator with Mac

hwerlin

Summary

Not Equal Operator with Mac

Description of the issue

Using Filemaker 10, the operator  for Not Equal does not work, receive the error message field contains invalid find criteria. How do you find a number not equal on a Mac? 

• 1. Re: Not Equal Operator with Mac
          StellaLuna

Hi pstamper,

<> isn't valid search criteria, as you've discovered.  You can also know that by view the Status toolbar and Symbols (while in find mode).  To find all numbers except the exact number you wish you can do it a few ways.  For instance if you want all numbers but 344, you can

1: Search for the 344 and then Show Omitted.  Since it is number, it will not also find 34 just as searching for 34 will not also find 344.

2: Search for <344 then add new record request and put >344 (you might use this to omit a range but option 1 would work best then, entering the range to find as 345...355 and then Show Omitted. :womanvery-happy:

• 2. Re: Not Equal Operator with Mac
            FabienDegryse

Using FM pro 11 advanced, eventhough I'm NOT advanced ... ;-), I have a similar problem.

When I create a link between two fiels of two different tables, let's say 'name' in table A and 'name' in table B, and the link is 'not equal', then if name in table A is 'x' and name in table B is 'x', it returns false, right ? If name in table B is 'a' or 'b' or whatever except 'x', it returns 'right', right ? But if the name in table B is empty, it returns 'false' ... How is that possible ?

I need to have 'right' in this cas also. How can I do ?

Fabs

• 3. Re: Not Equal Operator with Mac
              LaRetta_1

What version of FM are you using?  What operating system?

This functionality has been broken/fixed/broken/fixed many times (between various releases and updaters).  However, there must be a value on the parent side regardless.

"If name in table B is 'a' or 'b' or whatever except 'x', it returns 'right', right ? But if the name in table B is empty, it returns 'false'"

On Windows XP Professional SP2, both vs. 9.0v3 and 11.0v2 allow relating on not-equal to empty child values. So to answer your question, empty returns 'true' or 'right' and the relationship is valid.

• 4. Re: Not Equal Operator with Mac
                FabienDegryse

It's the 11.0v2 also, but on a Macintosh Mac OS X.6.4, and it returns false.... How is that possible ? I don't see any place to "allow a not equal to empty child value"... Maybe I did not look at the right place ?

... and just to be shure: how can I check which is the "parent side" or the "child side" of the link ?

• 5. Re: Not Equal Operator with Mac
                  LaRetta_1

Fabien said, " I don't see any place to "allow a not equal to empty child value"

The way to tell is just what you said you did - create the relationship and see empty records (child records with an empty key on the child side) show in a portal on the parent record.

http://www.4shared.com/file/KqkzndST/NotEqualRelate.html

See this example.  The top portal is related on name but yellow name field (the key which connects the two tables) is empty on the first related record.   Based upon age (number) three records have blank child keys.

Fabien said, "how can I check which is the "parent side" or the "child side" of the link"

The parent side is the side you are standing on.  In other words, if you have a relationship between Customers and Invoices and your layout is based upon Customers then Customers is the parent.  If you go to Invoices then Invoices is the parent.  With FileMaker, since relationships go both directions, either side can be parent or child or even grandchild (as long as the relationship allows it, meaning that the fields on the 'child side' can be indexed.

You can tell if a relationship is working (can see into another table) by looking at the connection points between the tables.  If the connection point is a T to it, it means that the key field in it is not indexed and the relationship won't work that direction.

BTW, if the parent side key is text and the child side key is number, the relationship won't work.  Always make sure your data types match in relationship keys.