ChiYim

Summary

Not prompt to enter into FMP project

Version

FileMaker Pro 10.0v3

Operating system version

OS X Version 10.8.3

Description of the issue

I can see and select hosts and Available files on 'Open Remote File' menu,
      when I click to open,
      It says "TEDIndex.fp7" could not be opened. Either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host.

Not being prompted to enter username and password for the project database.

Steps to reproduce the problem

everytime we try to open the project database.

Expected result

access to our FMP project

Actual result

error message

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

"TEDIndex.fp7" could not be opened. Either the host is not available, or the file is not available on that host.

Configuration information

FMP10.0V3

Workaround

workaround to work off colleague's desk to work off the database

• 1. Re: Not prompt to enter into FMP project
          philmodjunk

Is "index" the name of the file that you are trying to open or a different file name?

What is different about the "colleague's desk"? Is that the computer from which the file is hosted?

This sounds like you have an external data source reference to a file named Index.Fp7 that is not correctly set up for use from a client machine connecting to a hosted database file. I would open Manage | External Data Sources and check the entrees made there that refer to this file and see what may need to be corrected.

• 2. Re: Not prompt to enter into FMP project
            ChiYim

HI PhilModJunk,

"TEDindex.fp7" is the full name

Network file path: fmnet:/10.0.1.204/TEDIndex

Colleague's desk runs FMP11.0v4  host computer is not my colleague's

Host computer is "10.0.1.204" and they are all in same local network

I selected 'prompt user for username and password' on 'edit data source' and it still gives me same error

Thanks

• 3. Re: Not prompt to enter into FMP project
              philmodjunk

TEDindex.fp7 is a FileMaker file, but 'prompt user for username and password' is an ODBC data source option--not the data source option that you should have selected for a FileMaker file. That could easily explain this error message as the error message is telling you that it can't open the file. And ODBC might be configured on your colleague's machine to make this work, but I really see no good reason for using an ODBC link from one FileMaker file to another.

To rephrase my original question:

is "TEDindex.fp7" the exact name that appears in the error message? Is it also the exact name of the file you are opening from Open Remote?

• 4. Re: Not prompt to enter into FMP project
                ChiYim

Yes "TEDIndex.fp7" is the exact name appearing on the error message, and It is the exact name of the file I'm trying to open.

I was only able to see the ODBC data on my colleague's machine as I don't have an option to select 'manage' on my computer. Sorry for the confusion

• 5. Re: Not prompt to enter into FMP project
                  philmodjunk

But why use an ODBC reference to a file you have to open directly anyway? That seems a very needless complication to your design.