Thank you for your post.
I am unable to replicate the issue. Here are the steps I took:
1. Using FileMaker Pro 13.0v1 under Mac OS X 10.9.1, I created a database file with two tables, "Invoices" and "Names". I linked "Invoices" to "Names" via a key field (ID).
2. I entered one record in Invoices. I entered ten records into Names, and I linked five of those records to Invoices.
3. In the Invoices layout, I created a portal into Names and I'm able to view the five linked records.
4. I created another Text field, "DropDown", and formatted the field as Drop-down list, and I set the Value list to use values from the field "Name" in the Names table.
5. I return to Browse mode, click on the "DropDown" field, and a listing of all ten names appear.
Since this is not working for you, try creating another Text field, format it as Drop-down list, and create a new value list based on the value from the second table. Does this work? If so, then the original Drop-down field has become corrupt. If the value list is still blank, see if you can create a Drop-down list from another table.
Keep me updated with any progress.
Thanks for your reply. Sorry am probably confusing using non-standard terminology.
Layout A needs to lookup a result from Table B that is input as a Table B Edit field with a drop down menu.
The drop down list in Table B is working fine and showing in Layout B. The problem I have is that I want to display only the Table B selected text result from the drop down menu in an edit field in Table A layout. They are linked and also Table A is correctly pointing to the drop down menu field in Table B.
I only need the single text result of the Table B drop down menu to show in Layout A.
For some strange reason the Table A edit field does not recognise Table B field with drop down box as text. Look-up works fine. Other fields in Table A look up normal edit fields in table B correctly and output the answer in Table A layout. However whenever a drop-down is used in a Table B field, Table A edit field does not find anything.
They are linked and also Table A is correctly pointing to the drop down menu field in Table B.
Exactly how are they linked? What match fields, operator, etc did you use?
You may want to upload a screen shot of the relevant portion of Manage | Database | relationships.
Have a attached a jpg showing the offending fields. Sorry wasn't able to grab a screenshot of the inspection or the relationship, but other fields are working fine.
Place the ID field (the field that links the two tables together) from table B onto the tab panel with Category. I want to make sure the correct record is being referenced. If you see the ID is not matching the correct record in table B, that could be the cause.
If the correct record is being referenced, then I'd like to see your file. Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.
That part I've circled in red does not look correct. The two colons shown before the field name show that this is a field from a related table. I doubt that this is the correct field for what you are trying to do here as I would expect this field to not be from a related Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?.
I have two related tables, Table A and Table B.
Have just played with another text field in Table B which was replicating properly in Table A Layout. When I changed the edit field to a drop-down box it did nothing. It still retained its old text value. I even refreshed the table by reentering the main table relationship value. Change it to back to a normal text edit field and it updates normally in Layout A.
The fact that layout A references a related table in Table B works fine when it is a text edit box, but as soon as I change the same Table B field to a drop down box, it does not work. This to me means the relationship is working, but drop-down box functionality is not going beyond it's input table of Table B. The output of each entry in the drop-down box is text so I would have thought it would be treated the same as a text format from the moment the drop-down selection is made.
I even removed the Category text edit field from Layout A and redefined it directly from Table B, but it does not pick up the drop-down box selection. I know other fields are working in Layout A from Table B but not when they are drop-down boxes. I could remove drop-down boxes and just have text input, but am trying hard not to allow incorrect input into some fields.
The next stage is to build another simple two table database with two fields in the Layout, one references an edit field and one a drop-down box.
Thanks for all your help.
Have just created a new database, replicated two new tables, layouts, one using a drop-down box and the other an edit box and it works perfectly.
Having double-checked everything, I can only think there is corruption in the drop-down list - it looks exactly correct, though but will delete it out and try a new one before deleting the Category field and replacing that from fresh as well.
Can't put my finger on the exact cause.
Have spend hours debugging, deleting fields, relationships. It picked up other fields perfectly with drop down tables, but not this field. In the end, I reversed the location of the fields into the other related tables and it worked. Bizarre thing was, when I went back and put it all back again as it was originally, it worked! Again thanks for the help this evening.