9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 2:40 PM by MartinWeir

Not reading related table fields where the related table field is a derived from a drop-down list

MartinWeir

Summary

Not reading related table fields where the related table field is a derived from a drop-down list

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Operating system version

Mavericks OSX 10.9.1

Description of the issue

Building first database into day 10 and doing very well. If I have two tables
      Table A                                     Table B

Table A) Normal edit Field.............. Table B) Field with Drop-down menu

Table A edit field is set to read Table B field with drop down menu
      Table A does not read any field in Table B where a drop down menu has been used to enter a value.
      Values in the drop-down menu are all text and correct.

I feel there is a bug in the drop-down field option preventing them to be read properly.

Steps to reproduce the problem

Table A is related to table B
      Table A successfully reads edit fields from Table B
      Table A field correctly is set to navigate to the correct Table B field
      Nothing is showing in Table A field, even though Table B field is set to be read from Table A field

Expected result

Table B drop-down field selection to display in Table A edit field.

Actual result

Table A blank field

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

None

Configuration information

One database with five related Tables. Table A is directly related to Table B and already correctly extracts information but only from Table B normal edit fields.

Workaround

None yet. (Unusual for me!)

• 1. Re: Not reading related table fields where the related table field is a derived from a drop-down list
          TSGal

Martin Weir:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue.  Here are the steps I took:

1. Using FileMaker Pro 13.0v1 under Mac OS X 10.9.1, I created a database file with two tables, "Invoices" and "Names".  I linked "Invoices" to "Names" via a key field (ID).

2. I entered one record in Invoices.  I entered ten records into Names, and I linked five of those records to Invoices.

3. In the Invoices layout, I created a portal into Names and I'm able to view the five linked records.

4. I created another Text field, "DropDown", and formatted the field as Drop-down list, and I set the Value list to use values from the field "Name" in the Names table.

5. I return to Browse mode, click on the "DropDown" field, and a listing of all ten names appear.

Since this is not working for you, try creating another Text field, format it as Drop-down list, and create a new value list based on the value from the second table.  Does this work?  If so, then the original Drop-down field has become corrupt.  If the value list is still blank, see if you can create a Drop-down list from another table.

Keep me updated with any progress.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Not reading related table fields where the related table field is a derived from a drop-down list
            MartinWeir

Hi TSGal,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry am probably confusing using non-standard terminology. 

Layout A needs to lookup a result from Table B that is input as a Table B Edit field with a drop down menu. 

The drop down list in Table B is working fine and showing in Layout B. The problem I have is that I want to display only the Table B selected text result from the drop down menu in an edit field in Table A layout. They are linked and also Table A is correctly pointing to the drop down menu field in Table B.

I only need the single text result of the Table B drop down menu to show in Layout A. 

For some strange reason the Table A edit field does not recognise Table B field with drop down box as text. Look-up works fine. Other fields in Table A look up normal edit fields in table B correctly and output the answer in Table A layout. However whenever a drop-down is used in a Table B field, Table A edit field does not find anything. 

Brgds.

Martin

• 3. Re: Not reading related table fields where the related table field is a derived from a drop-down list
              philmodjunk

They are linked and also Table A is correctly pointing to the drop down menu field in Table B.

Exactly how are they linked? What match fields, operator, etc did you use?

You may want to upload a screen shot of the relevant portion of Manage | Database | relationships.

• 4. Re: Not reading related table fields where the related table field is a derived from a drop-down list
                MartinWeir

Have a attached a jpg showing the offending fields. Sorry wasn't able to grab a screenshot of the inspection or the relationship, but other fields are working fine.

Brgds.

Martin 

• 5. Re: Not reading related table fields where the related table field is a derived from a drop-down list
                  TSGal

Martin Weir:

Place the ID field (the field that links the two tables together) from table B onto the tab panel with Category.  I want to make sure the correct record is being referenced.  If you see the ID is not matching the correct record in table B, that could be the cause.

If the correct record is being referenced, then I'd like to see your file.  Check your Inbox at the top of this page for instructions where to send the file.

TSGal
                       FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Not reading related table fields where the related table field is a derived from a drop-down list
                    philmodjunk

That part I've circled in red does not look correct. The two colons shown before the field name show that this is a field from a related table. I doubt that this is the correct field for what you are trying to do here as I would expect this field to not be from a related Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?.

• 7. Re: Not reading related table fields where the related table field is a derived from a drop-down list
                      MartinWeir

I have two related tables, Table A and Table B. 

Have just played with another text field in Table B which was replicating properly in Table A Layout. When I changed the edit field to a drop-down box it did nothing. It still retained its old text value. I even refreshed the table by reentering the main table relationship value. Change it to back to a normal text edit field and it updates normally in Layout A. 

The fact that layout A references a related table in Table B works fine when it is a text edit box, but as soon as I change the same Table B field to a drop down box, it does not work. This to me means the relationship is working, but drop-down box functionality is not going beyond it's input table of Table B. The output of each entry in the drop-down box is text so I would have thought it would be treated the same as a text format from the moment the drop-down selection is made. 

I even removed the Category text edit field from Layout A and redefined it directly from Table B, but it does not pick up the drop-down box selection. I know other fields are working in Layout A from Table B but not when they are drop-down boxes. I could remove drop-down boxes and just have text input, but am trying hard not to allow incorrect input into some fields. 

The next stage is to build another simple two table database with two fields in the Layout, one references an edit field and one a drop-down box. 

• 8. Re: Not reading related table fields where the related table field is a derived from a drop-down list
                        MartinWeir

Thanks for all your help.

Have just created a new database, replicated two new tables, layouts, one using a drop-down box and the other an edit box and it works perfectly.

Having double-checked everything, I can only think there is corruption in the drop-down list - it looks exactly correct, though but will delete it out and try a new one before deleting the Category field and replacing that from fresh as well. 

Brgds.

Martin

• 9. Re: Not reading related table fields where the related table field is a derived from a drop-down list
                          MartinWeir

Finally resolved.

Can't put my finger on the exact cause.

Have spend hours debugging, deleting fields, relationships. It picked up other fields perfectly with drop down tables, but not this field. In the end, I reversed the location of the fields into the other related tables and it worked. Bizarre thing was, when I went back and put it all back again as it was originally, it worked! Again thanks for the help this evening.