1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 15, 2011 11:15 AM by TSGal

Not remembering found records from last search...

MichaelDeLaRosa

Summary

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

FileMaker Pro 11.0v2

Operating system version

Windows Vista

Description of the issue

Not remembering found records from last search...Answered
      Forum post posted 12:01 PM by Michael DeLaRosa
      9 Views, 2 Answers
      Title:
      I'm using FileMaker Pro 11.0v2 and I'm having a problem that I have never encountered using many previous versions of FileMaker...

I have a database file that contains about 70,000 contacts records.  Each record has standard data fields for each person (name, address, city, state, zip, etc.) and I also have a field for the 2-digit birth month of each contact person (01, 02, etc.)  If I do a search on one of the standard data fields such as name, the results are properly displayed on the screen. If I then close the file and then come back and re-open it, the same results page (showing the results of the name search) will be displayed just as it was when I last closed the file.

However, if I then do a search on the birth month field and have the results properly displayed on the screen, then if I close the file and then re-open it again, the results screen from the previous search on the name field are displayed and NOT the results page from the search on the birth month that was being displayed when the file was last closed.

With all other versions of FileMaker that I have worked with, the same results page that was last showing when the file was closed will be displayed again when the file is re-opened, regardless of which data field was searched in the last session.

Steps to reproduce the problem

I'm using FileMaker Pro 11.0v2 and I'm having a problem that I have never encountered using many previous versions of FileMaker...

I have a database file that contains about 70,000 contacts records.  Each record has standard data fields for each person (name, address, city, state, zip, etc.) and I also have a field for the 2-digit birth month of each contact person (01, 02, etc.)  If I do a search on one of the standard data fields such as name, the results are properly displayed on the screen. If I then close the file and then come back and re-open it, the same results page (showing the results of the name search) will be displayed just as it was when I last closed the file.

Expected result

If I do a search on one of the standard data fields such as name, the results are properly displayed on the screen. If I then close the file and then come back and re-open it, the same results page (showing the results of the name search) will be displayed just as it was when I last closed the file.

Actual result

However, if I then do a search on the birth month field and have the results properly displayed on the screen, then if I close the file and then re-open it again, the results screen from the previous search on the name field are displayed and NOT the results page from the search on the birth month that was being displayed when the file was last closed.

With all other versions of FileMaker that I have worked with, the same results page that was last showing when the file was closed will be displayed again when the file is re-opened, regardless of which data field was searched in the last session.

Exact text of any error message(s) that appear

n/a

Workaround

Best Answer

* posted 4:01 PM by raybaudi
                o Actions
                      + Report Abuse

I haven't 11 but, if it is still like 10, try to change view ( for example from list to table and back to list view ) after the find and before closing the file. ( It appears to be a bug )

-----

The reply posted by raybaudi seems to hit the nail on the head.  If I simply change to 'View as Table' and then right back to 'View as List' and then close the file, when I re-open the file it 'remembers' the last results screen from the last find command that was performed.

So, I agree with you that this appears to be a bug in this version of the software and hopefully the folks at FileMaker can fix this in a future update.

• 1. Re: Not remembering found records from last search...
          TSGal

Michael DeLaRosa:

Thank you for your post.

I am able to replicate the issue on both Mac OS X 10.6.6 and Windows XP (SP3) with FileMaker Pro 11.0v3 and FileMaker Pro 10.0v3.

I have forwarded your post along with my findings to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) departments for further review and confirmation.  I will keep you posted as information becomes available to me.

TSGal
          FileMaker, Inc.