4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2009 8:15 AM by steelbut

ntdll.dll related crash still happening in Server 10

SimonJoyner

Summary

ntdll.dll related crash still happening in Server 10

Description of the issue

Our client is running FileMaker Server 10 on a Windows Server 2003 machine with 14 users all using FileMaker Pro 10 on XP. The FileMaker service has crashed 3 times in the last two weeks with the event log twice showing ntdll.dll to be the problem and once showing OmniORB4.dll. Here is the most recent log entry: "Faulting application fmserver.exe, version 10.0.1.51, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.2.3790.3959, fault address 0x0002be3e." I had thought this issue had been resolved with version 9.0 v3 but obviously not and it is becoming a serious issue. What can be done and is there a fix for this forthcoming? Thanks   

• 1. Re: ntdll.dll related crash still happening in Server 10
          SimonJoyner

(bump)

i would like at least an acknowledgment of my post by someone before my client's server takes its next dive so I can tell him that there is at least some light at the end of the tunnel.

• 2. Re: ntdll.dll related crash still happening in Server 10
            SimonJoyner

Some further info from today's crash. I happened to be logged in to the server via rdc when it started misbehaving.

10 clients were logged in and then one by one over a period of 30 minutes they each received a "host not responding" error.

The fm event log shows on the server shows a "Client <name> no longer responding, connection closed (10)" for each user.

However, they all still showed as connected clients in the FMServer admin console.

When they reconnected, they then showed up twice in the admin console (some got thrown off again, reconnected again and ended up showing three times).

Disconnecting one of the old instances via the console made it disappear but when you moved to another screen and back again, it reappeared.

Obviously this is causing considerable disruption to the client and FileMaker's lack of any response is very disappointing. 

• 3. Re: ntdll.dll related crash still happening in Server 10
              TSGal

simonjoyner:

Thank you for your posts, and I apologize for the late reply.

It's hard to determine what is causing the crashes based on your description.  I need to see your log files.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the log files.

It appears your Admin Console was not updating properly, and this could be caused by many different factors; most notably FileMaker not operating fully and sending incorrect information after the clients were unexpectedly closed.

Any information on what was occurring just prior to the crash may be helpful in determining possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: ntdll.dll related crash still happening in Server 10
                steelbut

It is disappointing to hear, I am running FMSA 9 and am having the ntdll.dll problem for a long time and have hoped it would go away if upgraded or some new message would come out on the blog to fix it.  But so far it still seems to be an issue.  I even tried to turn off all IWP on the server and in each file and still got the message that the IWP is not responding.  I assumed the constant IWP not responding messages and the ntdll.dll must have something to do with each other? 

On one of the blogs I heard that Windows server 2003 enterprise might be the problem.  If anyone know please let me know.

Thanks, Larry