10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2014 10:40 AM by TSGal

Numeric keypad does not pop up in Filemaker Go

ManuelJrMendoza

Summary

Numeric keypad does not pop up in Filemaker Go

Product

FileMaker Pro

Description of the issue

The numeric keypad does not pop up when I am about to enter numeric values in pre-defined numeric field in Filemaker Go.  What pops out is the standard QWERTY keyboard.  I tried to change keyboard types.  But it has no effect.   I also checked if the numeric field i created is numeric.  It is.  This appears to be not working in iPhone 5S.  Before it was working in iPhone 5.  Please help.  Rather difficult to encode numeric data in qwerty keyboard.

• 1. Re: Numeric keypad does not pop up in Filemaker Go
          TSGal

Manuel Jr Mendoza:

Thank you for your post.

I've just tested this on an iPhone 5s, and the numeric keyboard pops up when I tap into a Number field.  In case the field is damaged, try creating another Number field and see if the numeric keyboard now displays.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Numeric keypad does not pop up in Filemaker Go
            ManuelJrMendoza

I changed the validation setup to numeric only.  The numeric and other symbols keyboard appears automatically appears upon pressing the field.  While this is fine, the numeric keyboard I am referring to is not this but the keyboard that shows only the numeric keypad from 0 to 9 excluding the symbols keyboard (%, &, (, +, etc), i.e. calculator type.  I know this kind of numeric keypad exists as I was able to use it in my iPhone 5 (though I could not remember how I did it).  Perhaps it can be noted that the numeric keypad that pops out in my iPhone 5 shows the 0 to 9 keys including some Chinese characters.  

Appreciate the effort.

• 3. Re: Numeric keypad does not pop up in Filemaker Go
              wrbudge

What Manuel is asking about is described in Filemaker Go 13 product information. Screen shot of your website attached. I would also like to know how to display this keyboard.

• 4. Re: Numeric keypad does not pop up in Filemaker Go
                Markus Schneider

-> inspector ->> choose the keyboard for the current field

The keyboard will not appear automatically for number fields, etc. since there are several types..

• 5. Re: Numeric keypad does not pop up in Filemaker Go
                  jtaffel

Hello - I haven't been able to resolve this issue for my solution. While I am using FMGo 13, I'm running a FM 12 database. FM12 does not give me the option to select a keyboard type and number fields are defaulting to an alphabetic keyboard. Is there a fix I can employ to make this work?

Thanks!

Jon

• 6. Re: Numeric keypad does not pop up in Filemaker Go
                    TSGal

Jon Taffel:

Thank you for your post.

The keyboard setting commands are not available within FileMaker Pro 12.  You would need to use FileMaker Pro 13.

When you tap a Number field in FileMaker Go 12, you will get the standard keyboard, but it should default to Numbers across the top of the keyboard; not alphabetic characters.

TSGal
                         FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Numeric keypad does not pop up in Filemaker Go
                      jtaffel

Hi TSGal - 

Many thanks for your fast response!

FileMaker 12 appears to have been discontinued from distribution from the App store and only one of five of our accounts have FMGo12 already purchased. Other than downloading from the "Purchased" selection in the App store (limited to 5 devices), I haven't found downloading discontinued apps to be possible before.

What is the purpose of removing the default keyboard selection in FMGo13? I very much appreciate the value of choosing the keyboard, but to have lost the auto-selection of a numeric keyboard seems unnecessary and would be a substantial frustration for our staff in the field. With respect to the keyboard selection, can FMGo13 behave the same as FMGo12 unless otherwise specified?

Again - many thanks for your attention and reply!

Jon

• 8. Re: Numeric keypad does not pop up in Filemaker Go
                        TSGal

Jon Taffel:

The selection of a keyboard can only be determined by a new script step introduced in FileMaker Pro 13.  Fields created in FileMaker Pro 13 will set the appropriate keyboard for the field type.  FileMaker Pro 12 will not set the appropriate keyboard, so FileMaker Go 13 will use the default alpha keyboard regardless of field type.

TSGal
                             FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Numeric keypad does not pop up in Filemaker Go
                          jtaffel

Thanks TSGal,

"Fields created in FileMaker Pro 13 will set the appropriate keyboard for the field type.  FileMaker Pro 12 will not set the appropriate keyboard, so FileMaker Go 13 will use the default alpha keyboard regardless of field type."

This sounds as if it is a bug that should be fixed. If FMGo13 supports FMPro 12 databases, shouldn't they function properly? 

Jon

• 10. Re: Numeric keypad does not pop up in Filemaker Go
                            TSGal

Jon Taffel:

Changes were made in FileMaker Pro 13 to allow different keyboards.  At this time, there are no plans to go back and make these changes to FileMaker Pro 12 and FileMaker Go 12.

TSGal
                                 FileMaker, Inc.