Object Name Can Be Changed With Locked Objects

Product

FileMaker Pro

Version

Advanced 13.0v1

Operating system version

Mac 10.9.2

Description of the issue

If one locks any layout object, they can then change the Object Name without unlocking the object.  It seems that Object Locking should prevent any change to locked objects.

Steps to reproduce the problem

1.  Create any layout object
      2.  Lock the object
      3.  Change the Object Name value

Expected result

FileMaker should prevent the Object Name value from being altered.

Actual result

FileMaker allows the Object Name value to be changed.

• 1. Re: Object Name Can Be Changed With Locked Objects
          TSGal

swisskent:

Thank you for your post.

Locking the field will not lock out all changes in Layout mode.  You can still group the object, change the Tooltip information, set fills, set Conditional Formatting, change the object name, etc.  Locking an object makes sure the item is in a set position on the layout and it cannot be moved or removed.

I recommend you enter this suggestion into the Feature Requests web page at:

http://www.filemaker.com/company/contact/feature_request.html

The entries on this web form populate a database hosted by Development and Product Management.  Each entry is discussed and considered for a future release.  Although I could copy your suggestion and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of questions asked on the web form that only you can answer.

TSGal
               FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Object Name Can Be Changed With Locked Objects
            swisskent

TSGal:

I tested a locked object (field), and FileMaker would not allow me to change the following:  Tooltip Info, set fills, Conditional Formatting, Button Setup, Set Script Triggers.  

However, FileMaker allows changing the Object Name.  This seems inconsistent with how an Object should behave when Locked.  I would like to report it as a bug.

Thank you

• 3. Re: Object Name Can Be Changed With Locked Objects
              TSGal

swisskent:

My apologies.  You are correct.

There are definitely some inconsistencies here, and I have sent the information to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal
                   FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Object Name Can Be Changed With Locked Objects
                philmodjunk

My test shows that this is also the case in Windows systems.

An entry in the Known Bugs List has been linked to this Issue Report. Any Comments/Questions/Suggested Corrections should be posted here or in a new thread. Please do not post such comments to the Known Bugs List thread.