ODBC Access hangs

Product

FileMaker Server

Version

Operating system version

Win2k3

Description of the issue

External Data sources problems

I think i have identified a flaw with FMPSA11, and a work-around. I have a number of fairly complex solutions that employ External Data Sources - typically I define them in a search path priority (file:filename fmnet:/ServerNode/filename). This works perfectly when connecting with FileMaker application. However, if you try do setup a ODBC DSN to connect to this same datasource - it fails. More-over, it completely locks up the Database server, so you have to stop Database services, and then restart. This is a Huge problem

My setup is FMPSA11 on a Dell PowerEdge server running Win2k3 SP2 with 4 gigs of Ram.

The solution, seems to be to NOT use the node name in DataSource definition - if you specify the IP number instead, it works. Not optimum, but better than a complete system lockup.

I'd like to think FileMaker would correct this in Version 12. Do not know whether the problem is present on the Mac platform.

Steps to reproduce the problem

define a External Data Source that includes a fmnet:/NodeName/FileName type reference

Define a FileMaker ODBC DSN that points to this database

Expected result

Connect to the new FileMaker DSN using any ODBC tool (like WinSQL, Excel, Access, etc)

You should now be able to do SQL functions like Select * from TableName

Actual result

No actual connection is made, and the FileMaker server is left 'hung', such that no other ODBC connection can be made, the Database Server, needs to be stopped, and then re-started to free the hung connection.

Workaround

specify the ServerNode name by IP number, instead of the ServerNode name

• 1. Re: ODBC Access hangs
          rmanook

AlanBarker:

Thanks for posting.

Just to verify, are you running FileMaker Server 11 Advanced v1 or v2?  Currently, only FileMaker Pro and Advanced have v3 updates.

Also, I have forwarded your post to our Development team.  I will update when any applicable information is made available to me.

Thanks,
          tsturtle
          FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: ODBC Access hangs
            alan_barker

I stand corrected.  The running version of my Filemaker Server Advanced is 11.0.1.95.  I've re-installed a couple of times, thinging remanats from the former v10 server advanced might be causing the issue... I thought I'd patched it to the newest release, which as pointed out by tsturtle is v2, not v3.

Alan